low power after running for awhile

dad&rob

Recruit
Hi I'm new to this kind of thing so please baer with me. I have a 1977 500 series 50 hP Mercury that runs great in the driveway but when we get into the water it runs for a while then startsa cutting out. When you squize the bulb it starts to run okay but then drops power again. I've read some of the other posts and it seems like its either the fuel line the bulb or the fuel pump. any help would be appriciated

Thanks dad&rob

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: low power after running for awhile

Generally, when squeezing the bulb you are assisting the fuel pump. The fuel pump may need a rebuild kit installed.

Prove this, disconnect the fuel line to the carb, crank the motor and watch for a strong pulsed fuel stream the size of the hose and at least an inch and a half out, any less, rebuild the pump.

Fuel line deteriorate because of the alcohol in the fuel and exposure to the sun. Hoses and primer should be replaced whenever they are showing signs of aging or stiffness.

Hose quick connectors should be factory, aftermarket units do not seem to seal, flow, or last as long as OEM connectors.