mercury 850 high idle/rev

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
can someone tell me what is wrong with my motor.am new to boating and need advice.motor has serial #7044189.when i start it it has high rpm/iddle.is it a trottle cable adjustment or carburator?how i can solve this?thanx:confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury 850 high idle/rev

It may be both, or idle timing. It sounds like you should check link and synch. I recommend a service manual, to help set the timing and synch correctly. Remember, you can set the idle set screw, but the throttle cable still needs to push the throttle closed. Ad a bit of preload to the throttle cable adjustment to assure the throttle is pushed to the idle stop.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep.throttle adjustment helped .thanx again.now i am new trouble.choke wire is all exposed and green and falling apart.so are few other wires.man..this motor needs serious look through

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

New motor wiring harnesses are avail on the web. They are not cheap, however. Check some places including surplusunlimited.com

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok.thanks for info.i will have to replace that(maybe i will just replace wire by wire myself and see what happens).motor gives short burst bursts only on start up.is it normal???am thinking that its wireing problem.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gt the wireing done.works like a charm.replaced wire by wire.