850 mercury-no reverse!!!help!!!

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello there all.i would really appreciate any help with mercury 85hp.i bought awesome humber boat with troubled motor.first,year it was made? #7044189.rewerse gear seems not engaging.when i move gear arm inside motor(engine off)further with my hand and turn prop it catches a gear.is there any adjustment to it?and how i could do it?:facepalm:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 850 mercury-no reverse!!!help!!!

That inline 4 was first made in the early 70s. it is a fine motor.

Sounds like your shift cable is not adjusted correctly or the control is bad. First disconnect the throttle cable and the shift cable barrell nut. Set the motor to neutral, by moving gearshift arm inside engine cowl to about the center of the slide track. It should stay in that position. Now set control to neutral. MerControls would notmally have a handle at 1200 for neutral. Adjust barrell nut to fit in center of clamp.

if reverse still will not engage, you have other issues (gearcase or control are likely).

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanx a bunch.i will try that today.how far i should go with turning.i have only 1/4"till shift cable is all the way in .hope thats the problem.i checked for a year and seems like its canadian made 1975.(person i bought it from told me its 1981!)

RMasters

Seaman

Had the same issue, shifting cable. Helped only for a while. Eventually had to take the control box apart, a gear inside was worn (missing teeth) and had to be replaced.

Just so that you know: the control box is like a jig-saw puzzle inside. Unbelievable how many parts are in there.

Ahoy!

carholme

Rear Admiral

Kazek;

Before you start tearing things apart, can you verify that you have the cables hooked up correctly? Take both cables off at the engine and lay them where you can see the ends and which one moves first when you move the shift lever to the Forward position. The one that moves first will be your shift cable.

Gerry

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok here it is.got cable out and adjusted it all the way....no help.gear arm is still about 3/4" frm being in a reverse.again-arm goes into gear with cable out and moved by hand(everuthing done with engine off).i just dont want to shift it to reverse when motor is running not to make things worse.could b streched cable?or i am into control box?