1985 75 hp MARINER {BROKEN CONNECTING ROD

mark hill

Recruit
lOOKING TO FIND OUT HOW HARD IT WILL BE TO REBUILD A 1985 75 hp MARINER OUTBOARD? I'M PRETTY WELL ROUNDED MECHANIC, JUST NOT SURE IF I WILL BE OVER MY HEAD ON THIS REBUILD. THE REASON I'M REBUILDING THE MOTOR IS : COMING ACROSS THE LAKE GOING ABOUT HALF THRODDLE WHEN ENGINE DIED WITH A RATTLE NOISE AS IF I BROKE A CONNECTING ROD. STOP AND CHECK OIL [FULL] CHECK IF OVERHEATED [SEEMED OK] TRIMED MOTOR UP TO CHECK FOR WEEDS IN INTAKE [CLEAR] STARTED MOTOR BACK UP ONLY RUNNING ON TWO CYLINDERS, LIMPED IT BACK TO SHORE!! AND SITTING IN GARAGE READY TO TEAR DOWN, WAITING FOR SELCO MANUAL TO COME IN THE MAIL. JUST NOT SURE WHAT I'M GETTING MYSELF INTO! AND WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE PARTS?

Jake.

Seaman
Re: 1985 75 hp MARINER {BROKEN CONNECTING ROD

How hard it will be depends on what is actually going on inside your engine. Rattle/dropping cylinders is generally a sign that you're going to be getting your hands dirty. But you won't know for certain until you crack it open and see what your issues are. I've found the Seloc/Clymer manuals to be fairly weak, especially for the more involved jobs like the one you may be looking at. You might want to consider springing for a factory manual, they're worth the investment. Lose the caps-lock, you'll be more likely to get help as most people don't like reading posts in that format. Good luck.

mark hill

Recruit

Thanks for the update on the manuals!! Starting on the motor this weekend, hope to find that it is only the connecting rod. In a prefect world {right]

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhhhh, if it's the big end of the con rod, you'll be looking for a c/shaft and bearings also.

Jake.

Seaman

Let us know how it goes.