89 Mercury 8hp 2 stroke oil leak from the exhaustion hole on top (newbie)

merlotstone

Cadet
After running for about 1/2 hour, I saw some oil (yellow color) start leaking from the hole on top of the shaft, where the smog also coming out. Is it normal? or some thing wrong. This is a almost new outboard that I just bought from local, where it had been in storage for a while. Thank you for your help

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 89 Mercury 8hp 2 stroke oil leak from the exhaustion hole on top (newbie)

serial number and pics.
have not a clue what your talking about. ????

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You are not making a low of sense, but you are running a 2 cycle outboard that has oil added to the fuel. It is also water cooled and the exhaust (which contains oil that didn't burn in the combustion chamber) is put through the exhaust tube and ultimately through the thru hub prop.

Watery oil is yellow, color of yellow dependent upon amount of water.

Sounds to me like what you are worrying about is just normal operation.

HTH

Mark

merlotstone

Cadet

Thank you Mi duckdown and Texasmark: here is the better explaination after 1 day trying to find out:

I just bought a 1989 8hp mercury 2 stroke. It's pretty new, the owner said it max 10hrs used. When it start running, I saw a black oil coming out from the bottom. Guess it was from the gear casing, I did change the gear oil. However, when start the engine again, the new green color gear oil start to float in the water. Overnight, the oil did not leak, until I start the engine again. It has a green color so I think it came from the gear case. I call a local mechanic and he said it was the seal inside the gear casing that caused, but this board is pretty new. Can i fix this myself or it's pretty much the job of mechanic to change the seal? if any ? Do you know what is the problem? Thanks again.