'63 Merc 650 shifting issues

PL

Recruit
First time boat owner and first post on this forum. I'm hoping someone has run across this particular problem. I recently replaced the impeller from the lower unit because of overheating (which was probably not the problem) and now I have a shifting problem. I didn't pay attention to the position of the gear shift when I removed the lower unit (rookie mistake):facepalm: and when I replaced it, the prop was stuck in reverse and ratcheted in forward. I tried it again and I can get forward and neutral but not reverse. I know this has to do with the shift shaft and the reverse cam lock, but I'm struggling with how to adjust it.

From a sticky note that was provided, I found a manual for merc's, but it starts at 1965 and later. But the info is close. I think I have the Easy Shift and because of that I believe the shift shaft only needs to move 30 degs. in either direction. But trying to make that adjustment is turning my grey hair greyer!

So, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I had her in the water twice and she ran great except for idling a little high. I messed with the idle and the third time she overheated. Thank you to the nice man that towed me back to the boat ramp. Hoping I can get back to the water before this short season is over.

I joined this forum because of the excellent advice from everyone. I'm hoping you can help a newbie in distress. Thank you in advance.

merc850

Commander
Re: '63 Merc 650 shifting issues

Turn the shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops - then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
do not shift into reverse unless you turn the propshaft at the same time.
If it is in N go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing with control in N.

PL

Recruit

Thank you for your reply. I will be trying that this weekend and respond with results.

PL

Recruit

Another thank you to merc850. Followed your advice this afternoon and now I think I'm back in business. Just need to replace the gear oil in the lower unit because of water, and hopefully will take her out next weekend. Does anyone know if there is a pump to help fill the lower unit gear case?

Mi duckdown

Commander

Water in the lower end? Need to figure that out.
Got bad seals or drive shaft grooved at water pump seal.