Which CDI box? Mercury black max xr2 150 hp 1984

Mercuryblackmax

Recruit
Hi,

due to a defect in the cdi box the ignition of my engine is not working.
Now i want to buy a new one, but don't know where to buy one and which CDI box i need. I hope somebody can help me finding one. I attached a photo and circled the cdi box.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

MaikelP6020107.JPG

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Which CDI box? Mercury black max xr2 150 hp 1984

That's not the ignition per se, that's the idle stabilizer/advance module.

Disconnect it. If the engine then runs half decent, discard it and reset your max timing to 23? instead of 19?

The switchboxes are the two modules on the starboard side with a gazillion wires on them.

Mercuryblackmax

Recruit

Hi J_Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to mention:
The engine does not spark,
at first the left 3 cilinders stopped working, after that the right 3 cilinders stopped (I hope you understand, i'm Dutch so i try to explain this as good as I can.:)) Is this also the problem of this idle stabilizer/advance module?

j_martin

Admiral

Not likely, but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way for testing.

First disconnect the advance module and try for spark.

Then disconnect the black/yellow trace wires that goes to each switchbox. (That's what the cdi spark coil drivers are called.) and try again. If the engine starts you'll have to choke it to kill it. The black/yellow is the kill circuit.

Then disconnect the bias jumper (white/black tracer) between the switchboxes. Check both banks for spark. If this is the problem, you'll get one bank back.

Are you sure the battery is up and it is cranking briskly? It must crank at about 300 rpm to generate spark. The battery is not involved in spark in any way.

Report back.

I just received a trouble call that will probably take all night. Be patient for my return.

hope it helps
john