water pump issue with a 1998 Mercury 150 XR6 -- NEED Answers

bubbadog

Recruit
Here's my situation? Water pump went out last saturday while I was going down the lake. Now my alarm didn't go off and the way I was alerted to it was I stopped to talk with my cousin who was fishing and when I slowed down it made a rattle and then I killed it. He towed me back across the river to the landing where I cranked it and it idled fine but it wasn't pissing. I let it idle for about 10 seconds.

Yesterday I ran a compression check on it sitting out in the yard and 5 of the cylinders have between 110 and 120 lbs compression cold - however 1 of them only has 70 lbs cold. It's my understanding that the normal compression range for this motor is 115 to 130. Does a engine have more compression hot or cold? Did the rings gald to the piston? Is it possible for the rings to free up and in turn the compression come back up? Or is there a better than average chance I may have to overhaul the powerhead and if so how complicated is it? I'm aware that if the rings galded and scarred the cylinder walls it'll have to be overhauled.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated - thanks