2001 mercury quicksilver control Change from push to Pull Throttle

rkneller

Recruit
I'm changing motors from a 1984 mercury 25XD to a 1996 Mercury Tracker 25 HP. All seemed to look like a perfect fit to the boat and I hooked it up but the throttle did reach correctly and upon further investigation I found that the Throttle Pushed to accelerate on the old XD motor but the 1996 motor need a pull function. Is there a way to reverse the direction of the control throttle. I believe the control to be more like a 2001 mercury quicksilver I believe thats when the XD was installed.

Please help this boat purchase is haunting me and I haven't even made it to the water...

57Cadilac

Cadet
Re: 2001 mercury quicksilver control Change from push to Pull Throttle

I am going to attempt to change my shift cable inside the controller, for gear selection, from push to pull tonight because I have a counter rotation engine. The cable needs to push out for forward and pull in for reverse. I will be shifting the gear selection cable, not the throttle, but I've heard inside a lot of these boxes either cable can be changed from push to pull. I will take some pictures for you. I have a top mount control but it might be similar enough for you to get the idea.
Zac

57Cadilac

Cadet
Re: 2001 mercury quicksilver control Change from push to Pull Throttle

Mine is set up like the one in the picture with a rocker arm type shift lever. I just pull the quick clip on the cable end and switched it over to the other side. With a little adjustment I was back on the water.

thumbnailCAS5SYPQ.jpg