Transom bracket for 80 hp mercury

CedarCam

Cadet
001.jpg003.jpg004.jpgI have huge cracks on the bottom of the bracket between the motor and the bracket mounted to the transom (the swivel bracket?) where the pins from the power trim go. Sadly the cracks had been well disguised by the guy who sold it to me with black silicone and paint...we only found these after our first half day in the water. Anyway, I am wondering if these brackets are specific to one size of motor (mine is a 1908 80 hp Merc), or if I can use one that comes off of a different size/year of motor? This is my first boat and I am anxious to get it in the water.
Thanks

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom bracket for 80 hp mercury

A good tig welder could possibly be able to weld that crack right where its at on the boat, might be worth trying.

CedarCam

Cadet

A couple of welders that I have shown these pics to want nothing to do with it (cast aluminum is tricky to weld). Another is willing to have a look but wants me to remove the bracket because he is afraid the heat will damage nearby parts. These cracks are on the bottom and on the other side as well so I am concerned that this is not weldable. I will give the guy a chance to look at it for sure, but I am also trying to track down another bracket at the same time (not having much luck so far). If there is a range of motors that certain brackets will hold, that will make my job a lot easier.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That triple clamp is probably forged aluminum. I would be concerned that welding would not hold, unless he ground the metal down until he could weld it all the way thru.

Any idea why it cracked so bad? Did you hit stuff? if you boat in salt water, perhaps the salt got in there and cracked it?

What is with all the washers on the lower PTT cylinder mount? Ususlly there is only one on the outside, under the 1/2" bolt head.

Most Merc 1nline 4 and 6 cylinder motors from the early 70s to the early 80s will have the same tripleclamp. it probably makes sense to buy the entire midsection, as it will be less work to swap the whole thing.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any competent welder with the equipment that is beyond welding butt splices on the bench can weld that part ( whats wrong with these people) 1 hr maybe 2 and its done, if you have to remove the part from the boat it might as well be changed, those cracks look to be caused by hitting something solid in the water if the previous owner hid that there may be other problems too, check the lower end for sure.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those lower trim mounts are carbon steel (If I remember correctly). Maybe corrosion caused them to expand cracking the triple clamp?

CedarCam

Cadet

I wouldn't be surprised if he did hit something...does make me scared of what else he hid. I am at least glad that the guys who can't weld this are willing to tell me they can't (rather than BS and do a lousy job). I can weld, but tig isn't my thing and I wouldn't try it either. Now that I know that clamps from other motors will fit, it makes my search a little easier.

b_grenz

Recruit
So I have a late 70s 85hp manual tilt and close to same year 115 with trim and tilt and have everything off

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This topic is 3 years old and the poster hasn't been here in over two years. Please do not reply to topics which have been inactive in excess of 90 days, Thanks.