Mercury Verado 200

Crazy Fingers

Recruit
Mercury Verado 200 4 cylinder
Sirs: I have never owned a boat before and am now shopping for a used unit... I have interest in a unit with low hours and am trying to obtain consumer stats/reliability factors on the Mercury Verado 200 4 cylinder motor... I have been told not to buy Mercury by some folks (non Merc types) because they are made in China, parts are at a premium and hard to find in the repair of things... Can you provide me some straight poop on where the Mercury, in particular the Verado 200 fits in the reliability and serviceability realms... I want to come to a decision point soon... Thanks for your help

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury Verado 200

You've been told a bunch of garbage. Yes, some of the smaller Mercs are coming out of the Far East, however it's not the Verados. Mercury remains #1 in outboard sales due to having the largest dealer base, and the availability of parts to keep the older engines running. There are also more Merc mechanics out there. All boat parts are expensive--including every brand.

If you gave us a little more information about what kind of boat you're getting and your intended uses, you'll get more replies and better replies.

The Verado engines are 4 stroke engines, which will last longer, run quieter and get better fuel mileage than any 2 stroke. They are the latest technology--being run by a number of electronic modules that communicate by "computer wires"--called CAN/BUS systems. (Every auto sold in the U.S. since 2008 is CAN/BUS controlled.) It's the electronics and high technology fuel management that give them so much horsepower and efficiency. Verado dealers have computerized scanners that they plug into the engines for analysis--and it tells them everything about every component in the engine. It also allows them to quickly diagnose and repair problems. On the down size, the day of the shade tree mechanic is over--as they don't have the training or scanners to work on such motors. (It's the same with modern day automobile services.) Another down size is that preparing a Verado equipped boat might cost you $1900 vs. $600-700 for an old generation motor.

For a bass boat or high performance tritoon, my dream motor is a new Yamaha SHO 4 stroke--200, 225 and 250 horsepower. They're the latest technology, but only come right now in 20" length. I've read so much good about the other Yamaha 4 strokes in this horsepower range for heavy offshore fishing boats, however the engines are just so much heaver than the new SHO's.

The marine industry is on the edge of switching over to CAN/BUS outboards. If you move quickly, there are probably some engines on the retail market that are old generation for sale. They may lack some efficiency and economy of the newer engines, but they're a little easier to work on. Good Luck in your decision.

jameswh0

Cadet
Re: Mercury Verado 200

I am looking to purchase a 2006 Tahoe 215CC with a 2000 HP Mercury Verado on it. The motor has 146 hours on it. This was an upgrade on the boat when it was purchased as the standard motor was the OptiMax 150.

The boat is selling for $19,500. I think the motor might cost 3/4 of that. Any opinions or advice on the motor besides what was posted above? Mainly I'm looking for some assurances from the gallery. :D Any input would be greatly appreciated.