2005 Mercury Control Box/Cable's

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

Im wondering about Mercurys logic with its control boxes and cables. It seems like every other control unit I have played with is smooth and easy, with throttle pick up right away as you shift into forward and reverse.

My research on the internet suggests that this has been a continuing issue for Mercury. So the why would they not improve them? Is there anything you can do to make them feel better? I replaced the shift cable and I am going to replace the throttle cable to try and make it better but it just seems like a piece of junk.

Currently my quicksilver control box requires lots of movement forward or reverse in order to actually increase RPM's. The amount of force needed to make everything go is also high compared to the Yamaha and Johnson controls I have used.

Thoughts?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Mercury Control Box/Cable's

Funny, I just today test drove my new control box. I bought the boat used, manufactured in the '00/02 area. Had the side mount that was semi-recessed into the starboard bulkhead. Had the Merc/Quicksilver 3000 series box........what a piece of pfffffffffffst. Got tired of the poor options this box offered. I was the boat operator/owner. Went on www and found a Merc control that is also bulkhead mounted but had all the previous problems solved; based upon the QK 2000 series.

In short, life is good.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Mercury Control Box/Cable's

I just installed the 881170A15 (15' cable rather than the 20' cable of the one in the picture...881170A20).

A marvelous box and it has benefitted from upgrades over the years that makes it the superb item it is. I paid about $250 for mine. Well worth the money.

I had to modify my boat to accept it, but it wasn't that big of a deal; especially when I got the performance improvement that this offered over the QK 3000 that I had.

Mark