Repair or repower 2004 Merc four stroke with cooling problem

pflugrad

Recruit
My 2004 Mercury 60 Bigfoot engine produces the "continuous" warning symbol. It was diagnosed by a mercury certified master mechanic as overheating with "corrosion in the cooling system" (not resolved by a new T-Stat, impeller, waterpump). He said that to diagnose the problem he would need to pull the "power head" off estimated at $2000 - $2500 dollars but still could not guarantee problem resolution....as there was no "sure fix".

This motor has been well maintained. It has about 1200 hours on it. Is this about the expected life of this engine?

Should I replace this motor (repower) or pay for uncertain but expensive attempt to repair.

If I repower, should I get the same engine or should I get the 90 ELPT Four Stroke for my 2004 17 foot Boston Whaler

Does this engine have any value?

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair or repower 2004 Merc four stroke with cooling problem

This master tech needs to get off the crack pipe. Powerhead and adapter plate will need to be pulled, and a restricted seal at the top of the water tube will probably be found. Fairly common issue. His price quote however, is completely out in left field. I do this job for around 800.00.

pflugrad

Recruit
Re: Repair or repower 2004 Merc four stroke with cooling problem

Thanks!

Based on your advice and others, I got a second opinion. Thanks!!!

The grommet was "bad" and some corrosion. Repaired for $600 plus parts.

I hope to keep this motor another 500 hours or so. Should I replace/inspect the timing change, values and oil pump?