2004 Mercury 50 cranks in forward gear

RodHat91

Cadet
I am reposting this because I wasn't clear before. I changed the impeller on this engine last week and then reattached the LU. When I did this my shift rod is now out of place. It isn't the kind that rotates; it moves up and down from forward (up), neutral (in the middle of the opening) to reverse (down). Look at this link -- this is my engine type, The first thing he disconnects (the shift rod from the LU) is how mine works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKtsJzTXgM
When I reattached the LU the nuts are no longer in the middle but now high in the opening. When I crank the motor it starts, and only shifts, in forward. When I shift up the rod goes up; when I shift to neutral it moves down (but still in forward); and when I shift into reverse it goes down but "pops" back up into the neutral position (again, still in forward gear).
Anyone know what the heck I did and, better yet, how to fix this?

nicknight

Seaman
Re: 2004 Mercury 50 cranks in forward gear

The LU shift position is not synched with the shifting rod position. I have the turning mechanism but experienced the same symptoms.
If you have the manual it will be easy but an alternative to that is to remove the lower unit and try putting it back on with the shift lever in one of the other positions.