2005 Mercury 50 - is the choke actually a choke?

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All,
I was wondering if the key-push-in choke is actually a choke for this model. When I had the airbox off, I did not see any choke plates in there, only the throttle plates.

When I push the key in, I hear a click at the powerhead, but I cannot tell exactly what this is doing.

Can someone please help describe what the choke function actually does on this motor?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Joseph

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Mercury 50 - is the choke actually a choke?

Joe, Since the early 80s Mercs have had enricheners instead of choke plates. These enricheners dump raw fuel into the carb throats when you push the choke button.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Am I correct in thinking that you should pump the primer bulb before the first start to pressurize the system somewhat so the enrichener works better? I've always found that the engine fires faster when i do it that way. Granted, it will start without pumping but it's definitely faster when the bulb is pumped, even just a squeeze or two.

UFM82

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies.

I always pump the fuel bulb before choking.

However, when you push the key / the "enrichener", does it just do one "shot" when you first push it down? Or, does it keep dumping fuel into the throat the whole time you hold the key in?

vance14

Cadet

The longer you hold the key in the more the fuel is also pumped in.

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All, thanks for the replies.

Joseph

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Only until pressure drops in the fuel line which is why you prime the engine with the bulb first start of the day.