Optimax 115hp Alarm

scottwlb1

Recruit
I am having an alarm issue with a 2004 115hp Optimax. Intermittently I will receive one 2-3 second alarm when on plane, approx 4k RPM. Its a single tone. The engine's performance does not suffer. I've changed the water pump with no change.

Any thoughts.

Scott

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Optimax 115hp Alarm

Scott,
Did you ever find out what the problem was? My engine has started doing this ever since I changed to a smaller prop. I thought at first it was hitting the high RPM alarm but it intermittently goes off at different RPM's.

scottwlb1

Recruit
Re: Optimax 115hp Alarm

Scott,
Did you ever find out what the problem was? My engine has started doing this ever since I changed to a smaller prop. I thought at first it was hitting the high RPM alarm but it intermittently goes off at different RPM's.

In my case it was a neutral safety switch located under the oil tank. The engine though I was shifting into neutral. This caused an alarm, and also began causing reduction in power. A Merccury dealer found the problem after hooking up their diagnostic tool. In your case there is an Over Rev sensor which may be the problem. Is your RPM over the maximum for the engine?

Good luck