Mercury 50 -- No neutral, cranks in gear

RodHat91

Cadet
I replaced the impeller on my mercury 50 and reattached the LU. When I crank the engine, the motor is in gear...I have no neutral. Any ideas or solutions?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 50 -- No neutral, cranks in gear

When you pulled the LU, was it in neutral?

RodHat91

Cadet

I can't say for sure but I am almost positive it was.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

That can be an issue if it wasn't. What you may have to do is pull the LU again, and get a cloth and pair of pliers and turn the shift knob on the LU until you get it into neutral. It has 3 positions, so you just grip it tight and use the cloth to protect the splines and turn it until the prop spins freely both ways. Then you can put your shift lever on your control box in neutral, and reattach the LU. That should get you in neutral and when you start it, it should be in neutral.

RodHat91

Cadet

When I shift the shift rod goes up in forward back down in neutral and further down for reverse.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you talking about the shift arm on the control box?

RodHat91

Cadet

I don't know...I'm not a mechanic, just handy. I think my engine is different because the trim tab and screen are not "standard" for a 50. Just saying...In the link below, this guy is working on the same 50 I have.When I started removing the LU, those two nuts on the shift rod (the first thing he disconnects) were in the middle of the opening. When I put it back together they are now in the top of the opening. I think I am starting in forward and when I shift up the rod moves up but is still in forward. And when I shift into reverse it goes down and then "pops" back up into forward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKtsJzTXgM

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

My apologies, I assumed you meant an older model 50. That is my mistake. I should have immediately asked you what year model it was. My knowledge on newer motors is limited. Someone here will help you out.

RodHat91

Cadet

Thanks for your help...I will repost and see what happens