1987 45 hp mercury mariner power loss

jeffreyr

Cadet
I have a 45 hp mercury mariner with low hours i bought a couple months ago and put my mercury jet pump on it..The engine apparently sat a couple years but when i put it on my boat and put it on the river it fired rite up like a new engine..It throttled up great and everything so i took off up river at full throttle and all at once after maybe a hundred yards from the ramp it fell on its face and didnt have any power..I shut it down for a few and i had to choke it to restart it and it took off again but like last time it lost it all again so i put it back on the trailer and restarted it and it would idle fine but had no power so at around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle i pumped the fuel bulb and there was my power back but when id stop pumping, it would go back to the same thing..Soo I took the carbs off cleaned em,had fuel pump rebuilt,replaced all the old fuel lines,put on new fuel filter and checked my tank and lines..Still same deal..A guy at the shop said he bets its something to do with my tank or the bulb and lines from tank to motor..Any help would be great..Thanks