Revised: HELP...Changing Impeller/Water Pump on '97 60 HP Mariner, Any Advice?

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tomorrow I tackle, for the first time, the impeller/water pump for a 1997 60 HP Mariner. Is there anything I should know before, during, or after I do it? I heard that I should make sure the prop shaft is still in neutral when I put the lower unit back on, but other than that it is pretty straightforward.

Drop the unit, change it out, grease the bolts, etc up, and put it back on, is that all? Hoping this cures the weak tell tale! I have the manual, so I will obviously follow that, too.

Thanks, all.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Changing Impeller/Water Pump on '97 60 HP Mariner, Any Advice?

Good luck. It's a pretty straight forward job. Use a little glycern or some silicone spray on the impeller to lube it up. Don't forget spline grease on the drive shaft. (put it back dry and you may never get it off again)

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck. It's a pretty straight forward job. Use a little glycern or some silicone spray on the impeller to lube it up. Don't forget spline grease on the drive shaft. (put it back dry and you may never get it off again)

I have heard that, too. Just don't get it on the top of the drive shaft, right? I bought the Mercury stuff with Teflon so I should be good to go.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Dishwashing liquid works just fine, it's slippery and will rinse right out. BE SURE that you do not let the reverse lock gear that is on top of your shift shaft get put back on wrong, mark it with a permanent marker if you have to. It goes on about 12 different ways, 11 of them are wrong...LOL. Once you turn your driveshaft to insert your impeller, never turn your driveshaft backwards. If your exhaust tubing keeps falling out while your trying to get the LU back on, wrap some black electrical tape right across it and tape it to the outside of the driveshaft cover to hold it, it will burn right out when the motor is run.

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dishwashing liquid works just fine, it's slippery and will rinse right out. BE SURE that you do not let the reverse lock gear that is on top of your shift shaft get put back on wrong, mark it with a permanent marker if you have to. It goes on about 12 different ways, 11 of them are wrong...LOL. Once you turn your driveshaft to insert your impeller, never turn your driveshaft backwards. If your exhaust tubing keeps falling out while your trying to get the LU back on, wrap some black electrical tape right across it and tape it to the outside of the driveshaft cover to hold it, it will burn right out when the motor is run.

I thought about the permanent marker thing. Do I simply make a mark on the shift shaft and lower unit in marker to know which way they go back in? I doubt anyone has pictures of that, but I'm finding it hard to visualize. As for the electrical tape, it will come off (I'm guessing what's what you mean by burn out) when the motor runs?

Damn, I thought this was going to be simple. This may be a stupid question, but should I take pictures of everything when I drop the LU, before I touch anything? This way I know exactly which way to put back? I guess that's where the perm marker comes in?

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

The shift shaft has about 12 teeth to it and the reverse gear fits over it. It literally can go over the shart as many ways as there are teeth on the shaft. Think of a sprocket going over a shaft, it fits on many ways unless it is keyed or had a flat side on the shaft which this does not. Marking it would be good unless you are real careful that it doesn't fall off. It just slides over the shaft, if you lay the LU on the floor, it may slide off.

What I meant about the tape was we used some black electrical tape and went down the driveshaft cover, across the exhaust tube opening, and then up the driveshaft housing again, just to hold it up in there while assembling. Mine was probably tougher than most since I have a short shaft extension kit on my motor. As soon as you run the motor, that little piece of rubber tape that would be obstructing the exhaust tube will melt and burn away to nothing. I actually had my LU off again after I did that and there was no sign of the tape.

Here is something similar to what you will see with the reverse lock gear, but I think yours will have more sides to the shaft. This one looks like it will only fit on about 4 ways. The gear just slips over the LU shift shaft, the shift shaft from above then slides over this shaft holding the reverse lockout gear in place.

DSC01566.jpg

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Hotrod.

So this was about as bad as it gets. I get the LU off easily, and notice a lot of dirt, sand, and salt.

p7170314.jpg

p7170321.jpg

I then the upper water pump, and notice right away that the replacement parts I have are way wrong.

p7170324.jpg

IMG]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/338/p7170323.jpg[/IMG]
p7170322.jpg

p7170325.jpg

They aren't even close. I don't know what happened, but I can't do anything now. I have some pictures here, things look pretty white, is that corrosion? I know this guy used this boat exclusively in the bay, so I guess this wasn't serviced much? The funny thing is, the impeller looks new, no cracks or anything. Which kind of leads to me to believe there is something else going on for the weak tell tale?

I am not mechanically inclined, and now may just bring it to the shop to get it fixed. Here are pictures of what I mean. Is there anyone that can help me? The identification numbers for my motor are 0G526575, 1997 60 ELPTO. I ordered from Boats.net with the following information: http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/4964.cfm which here looks like a 1999,. not a 1997 ughh. I'm going to lose another week on this at minimum; can someone point me in the right direction for the water pump, gaskets, impeller, etc? I can;t trust myself to find it and order the right thing. :facepalm:

carholme

Rear Admiral

Ober;

You have something seriousy wrong here. The other day, you asked for information concerning s/n 0G526576 which is a model 106012TN, a 1997, 60hp engine.

In your last post, you are talking about s/n 0G526575, which is a model 104012TD, a 40hp engine.

However, the correct p/n for the impeller is 47-19453T from the parts list I sent you the other day, item 25:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1680_250.cfm

Gerry

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ober;

You have something seriousy wrong here. The other day, you asked for information concerning s/n 0G526576 which is a model 106012TN, a 1997, 60hp engine.

In your last post, you are talking about s/n 0G526575, which is a model 104012TD, a 40hp engine.

However, the correct p/n for the impeller is 47-19453T from the parts list I sent you the other day, item 25:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1680_250.cfm

Gerry

Ahh, I am a complete idiot. It's the original, not the 6, but rather the 5. So I guess I will start again...

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the kit second from the bottom everything I need: 46-812966A11 | PUMP KIT-WATER at $168?

Would it have everything I need including the impeller and every gasket?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Don't worry, when you have made as many mistakes as I have, you can start to worry.

Good luck.

Gerry

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there any danger in leaving the LU off for a few days until my new pump kit comes? I can put it back on, but I'd rather keep it off until the new kit comes and only do it once.

Mi duckdown

Commander

It won't hurt leaving off.

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It won't hurt leaving off.

Thanks, duckdown. Just purchased a complete kit for a good price, hoping they send it asap.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Ober;

Sorry, I didn't see your last post and question. Yes that kit should have everything you need.

OEM: 46-812966A11, Fits (1991-Up) 45 Jet, 50, 55, 60 HP (3-Cyl.)

Kit contains: tube seal, insulator, pump housing, washer, impeller, 2 gaskets, wear plate, pump base, o-ring and 2 oil seals

If your wear plate and pump housing are good and you don't see any oil leaking from the gearbox through the shift shaft or the waterpump, save those parts and the oil seals for when you will need them.

Gerry

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Gerry. I appreciate the continued help.

I imagine the new parts will be here by the end of the week. I am hoping to return the wrong parts to Boats.net to at least defray some of the cost. I do think there is a bit of oil leaking, and seeing as though I don't know when the impeller was last changed, I am going to do it all while I am in there. I would rather just do it once now and start the clock again from this point.

Probably a stupid question, but do I need to apply silicone anywhere during the rebuild? I thought I saw something in another thread, btu didn't see anything in the factory manual aside from replacing the gaskets.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Just put grease on all the splines so they don't corrode.

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The water pump turned out to be ok, and the impeller needed to be changed as there were a few hairline cracks. I did notice, beyond that issue, that the motor must have sucked up some sand the last time the previous owner used it. I took the air compressor and blew out the sand and gunk and, combined with the new impeller, runs great. The real test will be when the boat is under load, but already I notice the tell tale pumping a nice amount of cool water. Thanks for all the help!