1974Mercury 1150 Thunderbolt won't start! HELP!.. Please?

Emberblade

Cadet
Re: 1974Mercury 1150 Thunderbolt won't start! HELP!.. Please?

I looked around the site, but I couldn't find the troubleshooting for my system. It offered tests for distributorless models of later years, and older 2 cylinder models. I might have missed it, but if someone knows what page of the pdf on CDI electronics I should look on, or would be willing to post directions right to this forum, that would really help me out. Thanks.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Lets start with your Switchbox if it is good more than likely your distributor/trigger is faulty

MERCURY BATTERY-POWERED CDI TEST FOR DISTRIBUTOR MODELS

This test is for the 332-2986 switchbox used from 1967-1978 on all the inlines.

This test assumes your coil is good (problems with CDI coils are rare).

DISCONNECT BATTERY

1. Turn off ignition;

2. Disconnect all 3 distributor wires on the Port side of the switchbox (and the ?mercury switch? if present);

3. Remove the High Voltage lead from the ign coil to the center of the dist. cap (remember it unplugs from the coil and unscrews from the cap);

4. Reconnect the H.V. lead to the COIL only;

5. Position the free end of the HV lead approx. 3/8" from ground (block, shrouds etc), and find a way to hold it there;

6. Jumper the brown and white terminals on the distributor side of the switchbox to each other.

RECONNECT BATTERY

7. Check that you have +12V at the red terminal (even with the ign off);

8. Turn on ignition and verify +12V at the white terminal (same side as the red terminal);

9. Ground the black terminal on the distributor side of the switchbox - this should cause a spark each time you touch ground.

If you get spark with the distributor bypassed, and it won't fire with the distributor connected, the trigger is bad and the entire distributor housing assy must be replaced.

If you get no spark using the test, the switchbox is probably bad. In that case, be sure to check for correct power on the switchbox, check all connections, and check the coil's resistance to make sure it's OK."

Emberblade

Cadet

Thanks! Will post back soon after running tests.

Emberblade

Cadet

Okay, bypassing the distributor and grounding it gave me spark on the coil. It was a very big spark too. So that means the trigger in my distributor is fried, right? So what is a good website to look for a new distributor?

Thanks so much for that test, that really simplified it for me! Exactly what I was looking for.

Emberblade

Cadet

would a distributor off an 80's model 1150 fit onto my '74?

RedDelPaPa

Cadet

Emberblade, I just did an ignition overhaul on a 75 Merc 1150. If you need help, I've learned a lot about them and I'm still fresh. Get you a helper, hook up your timing light, and verify you have a flash and/or spark during cranking. If you end up needing a trigger, it's not too complicated, but complicated enough you should go slow, and call on me or someone else if there is something you're not 100% sure about. I think I can guide you through the job in detail if need be.

RedDelPaPa

Cadet

I just bought a Glastron Carlson CVX-16 with a 1150 on it. I trailered it home, hooked up the hose to it with muffs and it kicked over easily. I ran it for a good half hour, then shut it off. The next day, it started again, same as before. I was thrilled that such an old engine would be running so well. For the next week, It rained sheets. The motor was uncovered, but it was all together, so I figured it was okay. I let it dry before trying it again, but no good. It wouldn't start. It kicked, but no spark. I replaced the plugs with manufacturer recommended NGK centerfires, did a compression test - with 120 all around- but it refused to even spit. The carbs get gas, and after some cranking are flooding out the front. I'm going to check them out later, but for now, there is gas getting into the cylinders and onto the sparkplugs. I tried to trace some wiring, but my Seloc manual didn't give me many troubleshooting options that didn't involve complete disassembly. I'm not ready to take it all apart just yet.

What else should I check? I'm thinking replacing the distributor would be a good move. It had a little water in it and was slightly green with corrosion.

the manual has a picture of the "safety switch" on the switchbox, which I assume is the mercury tilt switch, up for being corrected though. I've read that bypassing this would make it work, but wanted to make sure it is what i think it is before i short something out.

Finally, are there any fuses to replace? Is there anything I can do to the switchboard?

Thanks

You said it rained sheets and that the motor was together. Was all the cowling in place during the rain storms?

RedDelPaPa

Cadet

would a distributor off an 80's model 1150 fit onto my '74?

I don't know when Merc switched to the Type 3 distributor-less ignition, but if you have an 80's model I6 2 stroke with a distributor, I would think it would work.

You said you had intermittent spark. Can you tell us how you verified this? So far, it's sounding like you'll be doing the same job I just did.

Emberblade

Cadet

The spark was only sparking when i released the key from the start position. The cowl was all together when i rained. Thanks

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

How can it have spark when you release the key and she is not running (By turning the flywheel by hand??)When the key is in the run position you should have 12 volts to the red post and the white post on your switchbox .When cranking the motor you should have 12 volts still on the same posts.When you let go of the key all your basically doing is deactivating the starter and motor should be running.Distributor/trigger will sometimes give you the impression its all good(throw a spark here and there) but when they go there gone...I am not sure but I dont think the inlines 6 in the 80's had distributors anymore.They went with the trigger under the flywheel.You can shop around on ebay for a distributor sometimes you can get a good deal I have purchased about 4 of them for my motors for under $150.00 complete.If you come across a 70's distributor for a 4 banger mercury all you have to do is swap out the 4 window for your 6 window and your cap and off to the races you go.Good Luck let us know...

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Oh and do yourself a favor and check out all your wiring from the controls all the way back to your motor and your internal wiring.I beat myself up on my first 1972 80hp merc. because I couldnt get her to run/fire correct because I had bad wiring.Looking in all the wrong places.

Emberblade

Cadet

I have checked all the wiring. It gets the correct voltage at all the right places, and grounds where it should on the boat. It's the engine harness that is a pain.

About it firing only when I released the key, I was wrong. When it's cranking, it will kick, but only sometimes.

Emberblade

Cadet

So where can I buy a new distributor? I haven't been able to find one.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

I shop ebay but I just looked and at the time there arent any for sale.CDI electronics sells the trigger but you have to take your distributor apart and use for example (the rotor/shaft all one piece,cap spring ring)not awhole lot but you have to be carefull.The trigger alone costs $$$.Maybe someone on here has one laying around.I have a spare that I guard with my life.Hard to come by..

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The last 1/2 of 1979 was when Mercury went to the ADI (Distributorless) ignition, but any distributor from 1970 - 1979 should fit yours.

RedDelPaPa

Cadet

Here is the trigger I bought just a month ago:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360378261856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And here is another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230647669739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Cheapest prices I found for a new unused CDI replacement trigger. The kit came with the new trigger housing, as well as the 4 and 6 cyl plates, spacer, and both bearings.

So have you verified with certainty that your trigger has **** the bed? Cause you're gonna pay about $250 plus shipping to get her running again. If so, then place your order and start tearing her down. I can walk you through the process if you'd like.

Oh, and study this pdf. So you'll memorize how the distributor assembly comes apart and goes back together:
http://www.cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/134-3736.pdf

hoosiercaver1

Seaman Apprentice

I am not a pro at these motors yet, but I'm trying. I bought a used distributor off eBay for my 1970 115 and it was different than my stock one. The new one had a nit and a bolt holding it to the motor and the old one just ha d a bolt holding it in so I had to drill out the threads in the the mount tho bolt the new one up. I don't know when the design changed but it did at some point. I hope u find a good one. I got mine for 50$ on eBay, but it wasn't in near as good of shape as described.

Emberblade

Cadet

I am not a pro at these motors yet, but I'm trying. I bought a used distributor off eBay for my 1970 115 and it was different than my stock one. The new one had a nit and a bolt holding it to the motor and the old one just ha d a bolt holding it in so I had to drill out the threads in the the mount tho bolt the new one up. I don't know when the design changed but it did at some point. I hope u find a good one. I got mine for 50$ on eBay, but it wasn't in near as good of shape as described.

I actually bought a CDI electronics distributor last week when I finally opened my boat and it started right up. It's a new casting, so it took a little finagling, but it runs fantastically now.