Is Force Sport Jet powerhead the same as Mercury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkhitchens

Seaman Apprentice
There is a seller on Ebay listing Rebuilt Chrysler / Force 90 HP Powerheads (either L-drive or sport jet). My understanding is that the Force sport jet 90 and Mercury sport jet 90 are exactly the same thing. I called the guy and he wasn't sure. Is there any difference at all? Is there anything that I should be aware of? Has anyone done business with this guy? He is out of Kentucky.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is Force Sport Jet powerhead the same as Mercury?

I dont think the crank splines will work on the Chizzler/Force L-drive to a sport jet shaft and it will have to be a 91-up powerhead....

bkhitchens

Seaman Apprentice

They have a 90HP Sport Jet. The listing was for either. He called the rebuilder and was told they were the same. Does this sound accurate. The one thing I am concerned about is the crank spline and if they would be different between a Force or Merc.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I found the Ebay listing your asking about and yes the L and SJ 90 will interchange. The motors are the same as Mercury used the Force block in the 90 & 120 SJ series. You better jump on the price he has posted as he is making only $250 on it. The powerhead is a OBR powerhead the same as sold here on iBoats....

iraqvet70

Recruit

Will a Mercury 120 Sport Jet connect with a 90 Sport Jet pump? I have a Nautica RibJet.

Painlesstom

Cadet

Will a Mercury 120 Sport Jet connect with a 90 Sport Jet pump? I have a Nautica RibJet.

Yes, it will all bolt up. BUT, the 90 pump has a 1:1.15 ratio where the 120 pump has a 1:1 ratio... So you wouldn't gain anything from putting the 120 on the 90 pump other than more pulling power, wouldn't be faster on top end.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 90 Sport Jet and L-Drive is not the same as the 90 Mercury powerhead. Different displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.