Mercury 135, overheating above 20 rpm. 4 cycle.was told it needed oil. read further

Magnetron

Cadet
The alarm kelp coming on and a mechanic in VA Beach said it was suppose to inject oil at the motor. He said it was oil enjected and the hose was plugged. He said if the engine dont get oil it will lock up... ???? I have no idea. lol help. I took the boat out and it ran good at idle speeds but if I take it above 15-20 rpm's for 5 mins the alarm comes on (over eating) help. I just brought the boat and was told the motor was old but work good. I have a tank full with 50 gallons of old gas and 30 gallons of new gas . I added two bottles of gas treatment and a gallon and a half of oil. still over heating and losing power at times.

It I wanted to cruise all day I am good. I have to run it 5 mins fast then wait 15 to cool it down lol

Jake.

Seaman
Re: Mercury 135, overheating above 20 rpm. 4 cycle.was told it needed oil. read furth

Are you getting an oil alarm (intermittent beep) or an overheat alarm (constant beep)? And yes, if the engine doesn't get oil it will lock up. What year is your engine?

Magnetron

Cadet
Re: Mercury 135, overheating above 20 rpm. 4 cycle.was told it needed oil. read furth

Are you getting an oil alarm (intermittent beep) or an overheat alarm (constant beep)? And yes, if the engine doesn't get oil it will lock up. What year is your engine?

+I am going to the marina and get the info and take pics tonight.

thanks

Magnetron

Cadet

I was told mixing the oil with the gas was ok. I also was told most likely I need a pump and thermostats to keep the engine cool. Any info on how to install these parts or the normal total cost

Jake.

Seaman

You still haven't answered my original questions. You're talking about oil but the alarm conditions seem like an overheat. You need to figure out what's actually going on with your engine before considering parts and cost.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Solid tone beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep is an OVERHEAT and needs immediate attention, as installing a water pump kit.

Is there an oil tank on your boat and another smaller oil tank on the motor, or are you mixing oil in the fuel because both tanks have been removed?

Old fuel that was NOT stabilized before it went bad should have been pumped out and used in your car, adding fresh fuel and treatments will not reclaim old fuel. You can damage your motor running that sour mixture. Best pump it ALL out and start fresh and ALWAYS add stabilizer to maintain the fuel.

Magnetron

Cadet

Solid tone beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep is an OVERHEAT and needs immediate attention, as installing a water pump kit.

Is there an oil tank on your boat and another smaller oil tank on the motor, or are you mixing oil in the fuel because both tanks have been removed?

Old fuel that was NOT stabilized before it went bad should have been pumped out and used in your car, adding fresh fuel and treatments will not reclaim old fuel. You can damage your motor running that sour mixture. Best pump it ALL out and start fresh and ALWAYS add stabilizer to maintain the fuel.
You know your stuff.

I just put it in the shop and the mechanic said the pump broke in his hand. I had added 70 gals on top of the bad gas, It was a full tank after that. I burned half a tank before taking it to the shop. I am waiting on the parts/pump to be installed then he suppose to let me know if there is more problems. The boat ran good last time I took it out as long as I didnt go above 15 rpm's I will update you guys, thanks. ps. this motor was not the original so there was no oil tank and the small tank on the motor was clamp off. I mised the oil with the gas

Magnetron

Cadet

I picked up my boat today and they installed a pump and thermostat. I took it to the water and put it in reverse and the boat did not move. I was afraid to put it in forward and take the chance of getting stuck in the water. I ran the motor to check out and it would run only on high idle. If I set it for norm it shut off.

help. I have not removed the 40 gallons of gas and the mechanic didn't say it was bad gas. How can you check gas to find out if it is bad. Also.. could the mechanic have not put the engine back together right to make it not move in reverse.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Bad gas is just like you said (old gas). Flush it out and start with good clean properly mixed fuel or you will be fixing other things in the future and that's a fact. People even mech. can make a mistake but not likely, not unless he wants you back in his shop to dig a little deeper into your pockets. Bottom line? You know how it ran before you took it in so haul it back and make them fix it the way it was, except for the pump of course. Good luck.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

When your mechanic installed the water pump he did not get the shift shaft aligned correctly. Take it back and let him correct his error.

The oiling system has been disabled and you MUST BE absolutely religious about mixing your fuel, forget even once, and you will destroy the motor.