1966 mercury 650 won't lift up

I have a 650 65 merc and can not get engine to lift. I engage the engine into forward and it still wont lift. It used to life can it be the hydrolic fluid? any ideas I am frusterated I have been working on this boat lots I have replaced the lower seals the plugs as well as the water pump. I have to have the distributor rebuild new coils and bearings points set so I am so in need of help please please any suggestions would be great

scalebuilder

Cadet
Re: 1966 mercury 650 won't lift up

If you're pressing your "up" switch and all you hear is a clicking noise on the motor it may possibly be the lift solenoid. If your '66 even has those. Not too famililar with the motor. Not sure but I'd give it a try.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

When you had the lower unit off to do the waterpump, did you align the reverse lock cam correctly when reassembling? If that is out of whack, you won't be able to tilt the motor.

Just to make sure the motor isn't corroded down, remove the tilt pin and try to tilt the motor. The "claws" of the tilt lock hook over the tilt pin, so if you remove the pin you should be able to lift the motor...

R_Woj

Cadet

mine does this if the trim is set too low! Try removing the trim pin (will take some wiggling) and then lift the motor. Set the trim higher to avoid it happening again. Minimum for me is the 3rd hole.

can i just remove the hydrolic arms on the side it seems like that is the problem or can i remove the power from the trim motor