88 mercury classic 50 45 hp engine is hard to start

boatman1971

Seaman Apprentice
everytime i start the motor i have to pull the fast idle all the way up and crank on it it several times before it will start up anyone have a clue what the problem maybe?

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88 mercury classic 50 45 hp engine is hard to start

I put my fast idle to about 55% when cold and use the choke, and 55% with no choke when restarting it when its warm. When my needle valves were stuck, and it has happened to me 3 times, I had to do as you say but I could never put the fast idle to off and keep it running.

If you're saying it starts on a really hight fast idle setting and you can't shut it off, you are running on 1 carb. Remove the carbs and clean them, unstick the needle valve. You'll know that is the problem if you remove the carb bowls and one of them is dry. On mine, the ethanol in the fuel is causing my needle valve rubber tips to swell and stick in the seat.

boatman1971

Seaman Apprentice

i have to use the fast idle 100 % or it wont start at all but once it starts it runs fine

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Slow cranking speed makes if more difficult to start.

Minimum cranking speed is 300 RPM, as connections age, the starter gradually starts loosing speed and we often don't notice it until starting problems begin.

Grab your trusty battery jumper cables and jump directly from the battery to the starter, if the motor spins any faster than it does with the key it is past time to Clean all battery cable connections both ends, and the starter cable.

When was the last time the starter commutator was cleaned, lightly sanded, and the bushings lightly lubed?