Mercury 115 cooling hose issue

curtpross

Recruit
I've got a 1971 Merc 115. I took it out this week for the first time and it ran alright but it was peeing out of the normal hole but also this other hose had water coming out of it. After running for about a minute or two the motor just shut off. We think that it got overheated. So I'm thinking that the hose needs to be hooked up somewhere and we can't figure out where. The guy I bought it from has the hose running out of the engine ( see picture) but I'm not sure thats right (he also had speaker wire in the engine compartment when I bought it so I don't trust too much that he did.) So I'm looking for some help to see if anyone can tell me where this hose should be going. I've attached 2 pictures, 1 showing where the hose originates and 1 showing where the hose is coming out at. Any input or diagrams will help. Thanks, Curt

Attachments

• IMAG0166 edit.jpg
    IMAG0166 edit.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0168 edit.jpg
    IMAG0168 edit.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Mercury 115 cooling hose issue

The first pic is the normal exit for the water tell tale for an early inline. The later inlines moved the water outlet to the top of the block instead of the back of the water jacket. It is possible that the owner re powered the engine with a newer block with the top tell tale. Check to see if the serial numbers match on the transom plate and on the block. Let us know what the serial number is to confirm the year. It is hard to tell the diameter of the hose in the second pic, if it is 1/4 inch or so it could be a second tell tale. If it is 1/8 inch or smaller it could be the oil line that connects to the top bearing housing. Water should not come out of it though.