1995 200 xr6 mercury outboard trim problem

hnusbaum

Recruit
I have a 1995 200 XR6 Mercury outboard and the trim has stopped working at the throttle and on the engine. I called a Marine Mechanic and he told me the trim motor is not working. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult this is to replace (I have little to no experience working on outboard motors)? What the cost might be? And any websites that would be helpful?

Thanks,
Beached in Chucktown

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 200 xr6 mercury outboard trim problem

The easiest way is to get a lift ring and a engine hoist and support the motor then remove the right side mount bracket and finally the pump. That's the procedure out of the Manual and the way I do it. If the motor is not all corroded, some will say you can pull it without taking the right side mount off. Sometimes you get it out no problem and sometimes you don't. I do it by the manual because I've broken more than my fair share of corroded bolts trying to cheat the devil and it just doesn't pay. That being said, an experienced mechanic should be able to change one out in about 3 hours if all goes well. If you have a lot of corrosion you may find that you also need to change the tilt tube. I've had to do this on a few occasions but mostly with saltwater motors.