Mercury 650 Cooling

shannonm1

Cadet
Hello,
I just got a 1969 Mercury 650. When checking it over, No water is coming from the tattle-tale. With the lower unit off, using a garden hose, I sprayed water up the water pipe, water came running back down out of the driveshaft housing. I also pulled the hose from the tattle-tale (which is completely open) and blew into it with my mouth. I could hear air coming from inside the driveshaft housing. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 650 Cooling

did any water come out pee hose? you did not say. You need to clamp the garden hose on the tube tight. If no water out pee hose, try reverse flushing thru pee hose, if no water out the copper tube, you probably have a blockage in the exaust cover, has the motor been run in salt water?

shannonm1

Cadet
Re: Mercury 650 Cooling

I'll try better sealing the hose to the tube. I do not know if it was in salt water or not. I live in PA near MD, so there's lots of fresh and salt water around. I'll open the covers and check for blockages also, I do have all the gaskets needed.