2003 Mercury 40 HP EFI Water impeller replcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddleman

Recruit
I am in the process of changing out the impeller on a 2003 Mercury 40hp EFI 4 stroke.

I can not see how the gear shift rod gets released on this unit.

No problem finding the 5 bolts to lower the lower unit about an inch but I do not see any shift rod Jam nut release like I saw on the I-tune video I watched. The video was of a Mercury 50 HP unit a little older than this one. It had a two nut release on the rod. This was on the D-Ray's shop video.
Another video showed bigger Mercury units. 75,90,105, and 115 hp. Those lower ends just slid right down with the drive rod.

So now my one hour impeller job has turned into a mind bender. :confused:

Anyone out there have any idea on how the shift rod gets released from this motor.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paddleman

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 Mercury 40 HP EFI Water impeller replcement

You haven't provided your engine s/n so I will include this link which may be your problem. Yours does not have the jam nut setup which is for two strokes. Have a look here on page 6A-13.

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/883064/6a.pdf

If you provide your s/n, I can get you the complete manual for your engine and the parts listing.

Gerry

Paddleman

Recruit
Re: 2003 Mercury 40 HP EFI Water impeller replacement

S/N OT730289; 4 stroke EFI, 3 cylinder; 40HP;
also has a number 2003-40ELPTEFI on it.
Along with a model number of 1A40412AD

Paddleman

Recruit

Wow I would of never thought that the disconnect was on the top side. Interesting. I believe this will do it. Thanks Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is the service manual for that s/n:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/883064/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Here is the parts listing for your model:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/6995.cfm

Hope everything goes OK.

Gerry

Stonerman

Recruit
I'm having the same issue as above post. For some reason the links in this post dont seem to work.
I see this comment:
Wow I would of never thought that the disconnect was on the top side. Interesting. I believe this will do it. Thanks Gerry
do I disconnect something from above?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Stonerman

Links aren't working because this thread has had no activity in over 5 years. Please look at the Help Tip on top od the page and start a new thread. Thanks,

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.