1983 80 hp mercury quicksilver

einhorne

Recruit
my motor works great in full throttle but at idle and no wake speeds it shuts off. I also heard that in order to check the fuel pump is to take the hose off the combustion chamber side and squeeze the primer ball and if fuel comes out the pump is bad can some one help me please

Jeff Lindquist

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1983 80 hp mercury quicksilver

i have a 1982 80hp mariner that had the same symptoms. remove your fuel line just before the carbs but after the pump. grab a pop bottle and have some one crank it over while you catch the fuel and watch. see if you get up to 15 consecutive good shots of fuel. this will show if the pump is working. after this, remove the fuel pump assembly (3 bolts?) behind the fuel inlet line on the starboard side of the motor and inspect your diaphragm. if it is worn or has holes in it, definately part of the problem and a $5 fix. also see if the diaphragm is wet on the motor side after cranking. this will indicate a leak and therefore improper mix and pressure to carbs. just went through this and i have a similiar motor. let me know what this does and if i can help with anything else. see my pic for compatibility if we are to discuss parts.

Attachments

• Mariner Left.jpg
    Mariner Left.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0