1968 mercury 500 50 hp no water from pee hole!! my first boat

zildjian29

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bought a boat with a 1968 merc 500. I took off the lower unit and the impeller looks good to me but i am new to this. the pee hole doesent seem to be clogged. what else should i look at. I just want the darn thing to spit water out. The motor is very strong and runs great otherwise. Please help anyone!!!!!!

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968 mercury 500 50 hp no water from pee hole!! my first boat

First off I would put in a new impeller anyway, they get "set" when sitting for long periods, make sure the impeller is located with the key on the driveshaft. If the lower unit is off, do this, connect a cut off garden hose to the copper tube in the exaust housing that goes up to the powerhead making sure to tighten it down with a small hose clamp, now cut on the water and let it run awhile. You should see a real good pee stream but let this run for awhile to flush any deposits out of the water passages in the powerhead. You can also reverse flush it too by pulling loose the pee hole hose and temporarily connecting the garden hose here too and flush it out good. If everything is good here then you might have pieces of an old rotten impeller blocking the intake to the impeller, you'll have to remove the impeller and wear plate to inspect this area, hold lower unit upside down and shake to see if anything comes out, sometimes little pieces make their way into the copper tube as well, check this out too...let us know your findings..........

zildjian29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried hooking a hose to the copper tube and the water just comes straight back down. I also hooked hose up to the pee hole hose and it will not pass through, it builds up so much pressure that it blows the garden hose off. I am now starting to freak out!

charlie741

Cadet

I changed my 402's water pump and it wouldn't pee, I had the same problem flushing and I used air compressor blowing at both ends, then flushed again with the hose to wash out anything. Ran three times since and still peeing steady.

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, I would try with the air hose too, then try the garden hose again. If still no flow, the exaust baffle area (cover) might have passages stopped up or the back cover over the piston domes, only bad part on the 2 areas is NOT wringing off the bolts in the block, you just about have to use heat on the bolts before attempting to remove them. Does your motor show any signs of being run in salt water? Salt is VERY bad for clogging cooling passages and also making stainless bolts next to impossible to get out, I have seen this many times. Try the air first then water and post results...........

zildjian29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the help guys! I am going to try the air compressor. not sure what you mean by the baffle area or the back cover. I am new to boat motors but i am pretty good at figuring things out. could you be a little more specific to what they look like please. Hope i can figure it out cause the marina said they won't even work on it because its so old. Hard to find parts,and would cost more then it's worth. Again thanks for everything it's very helpful.

zildjian29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I finally got it too pee!!!! I tried the air comp and not sure if it was working so i took a pressure washer and went straight to the block. I feel so much better now. thanks for all the help couldent of done with out your advice. But now i can't get the lower unit back on!!! LOL

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will have to reach up with one hand and turn the flywheel to align the driveshaft splines. unless your hanging up on something else, it should slip right on.