tilt on 1991 75 HP Mercury will not work

gracie1969

Recruit
I have a 1991 75 HP Mercury and the trim will not work. The solenoid just clicks. The trim worked fine last year. It worked up and down for a few seconds, very slowly though, and then it just stopped. The battery has a full charge. Any sugestions?

MCJr7684

Recruit
Re: tilt on 1991 75 HP Mercury will not work

Hey yall first post just looking for alittle info.. Im having the same problem as the OP.. Ive taken the seloniods off cleaned them put back on motor trims up but not down both click, but i still havent pulled the trim motor. I'm fixing to go do it hopefully will luck out and have a bad conection in there. Any sugestions on getting the trim motor off. i have started the task at hand but didnt get very far before i was stumped and couldnt go any farther.

Is it posiible for the trim motor to seize on way and not the other??

Thanks in advance for any input..
Michael...

MCJr7684

Recruit

Also just noticed there is no intro tread. Im active on various threads, just never had a problem on an outboard i couldnt figure out before.. Hints never had to ask for this type of help before. Im a resident of the Florida Pan-Handle love fishing, boating, everthing to do with water. This is my uncles boat im working on now its a Alumicraft 16 1991 pretty nice boat for the age mainly a river and lake boat but they fish the flats in Chottohatche Bay from time to time..

Michael..

MCJr7684

Recruit

Update.... It is not posible to take the tilt trim motor off with out removing the outboard itself.. Atleast i havent found the way of doing that, i just sspent 2 hours trying.. Seloniods corrosion free trim motor sounds off going up, down still a no go.. Even tried alittle tough love with the rubber malet.

MCJr7684

Recruit

Well gracie1969 im not sure if im helping you by showing what to check out to try and remeedy your prodblem. Do the seloniods click on the motor? there should be a clicking or pop sound coming from the outboard when you hit the trim switch, if there is no sound then you have a relay/seliniod problem (hopefully thats your proble) im having to replace the trim tilt motor itselfmy seliniods click but the motor they send the signal to is fried. Anyhow good luck hopefully the helps, sorry for highjacking your thread i was trying to bump it so we could both get some advice.

As for the viewers it would have been nice not get that advice and not have to spend 5 hours tearing into the boat and motor to find my problem...

nevnut

Recruit

I have a similar problem. My tilt works fine going down but you can only hear the clicking sound for up. I can feel the solenoid clicking if I put my finger on it when I'm pushing the up button. It's the rear-most solenoid, I just replaced it and it didn't fix it. If you figure your problem out, please post. Or any one else for that matter.

Thnx.

MCJr7684

Recruit

I had to replace the tilt/trim motor on the one is was working on.. Fixed the problem works great i hope that not what your problem is, if it is you have to remove the outboard to replace the electric motor..