.462 Mark.Dial indicator Question.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
G'day,never used a dial indicator before and was wondering if the .462 mark is at 5.30 position on the dial indicator or a fraction past zero.
Can I use any dial indicator to reach correct result,or only merc one.
It does sound like a dumb question though manual is vague.
Thanks Paul.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: .462 Mark.Dial indicator Question.

You can use an accurate ruler or micrometer instead of a dial indicator. Set the motor to TDC. Now back down the piston until you read a .464 inch drop in piston height.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't see how you could be exact in achieving .462 with a ruler or is it not crucial to be exact to the mm.However you answered my question that .462 refers to fraction of an inch and not mm or cm.

Laddies

Banned

Any dial indicator that will attach firmly to the engine will work.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Chris,most cheap auto shops didn't even have a dial indicator,so I used your method with a tape measure and screw driver with marks measured for TDC and .462 (12mm).checked fly wheel and it lined up perfect,so no adjustment needed.Went to test timing with light and ........battery was dead...what next.lol.

j_martin

Admiral

I use the depth gauge end of a digital caliper and an adapter made from an old spark plug. I mount it so it sticks in the cylinder, turn the engine past TDC, hit the zero button, back the engine up, shove the stick in about .500, and turn the engine to .462". Takes longer to say it than do it.

kwik_uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use the depth gauge end of a digital caliper and an adapter made from an old spark plug. I mount it so it sticks in the cylinder, turn the engine past TDC, hit the zero button, back the engine up, shove the stick in about .500, and turn the engine to .462". Takes longer to say it than do it.

Perfect! This is just the type of answer I was looking for to an issue I'm having! :D