98 mariner 150 v6 carb has no power under a load

mike0286

Recruit
i have weak spark 25,000 volt on a spark test gauge it should be 40,000. the motor is hard to start and idles rough, it also has no power, you put it in gear and hit it, she will stall. i have ohmd the trigger and stator according to manual, it test fine the coils ohm good on secondary. i have cleaned the carbs and check the floats. i have not checked fuel pressure yet but it seems to be getting plenty. i am at a loss, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. i am thinking the spark advance module is causing the problems, but not real sure.

thanks for any help u can give

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 98 mariner 150 v6 carb has no power under a load

Disconnect it and try it. You can't hurt anything.

If you opened up the carbs and didn't replace gaskets, you hurt them. Do it again

Check compression before anything else. If it isn't good, there is no tune up item that will help.

Check the bleed lines and valves. They can wreck havoc on the idle.

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 98 mariner 150 v6 carb has no power under a load

DVA testing is a far better indicator of stator and trigger capability to generate sufficient voltage for system operation under load. A broken yet abutted winding in a stator coil can Ohm within tolerence yet fail when under load.

CDIElectronics has written a very detailed Ignition Troubleshooting Guide and made it available for FREE download on their Support page, get it, test your stator, trigger and switchbox output.