Mercury Outboard 1150 115hp gauge of wires

farafox

Recruit
I do not know the year but the serial #4959256 and I can't find anything matching that serial number.

The problem we are having is that it won't turn over and several of the wires were either cracked or corroded so we are trying to replace them. The motor acts like it wants to start but just won't turn over. I need to know what gauge of wire to use so as not to get it wrong. If anyone knows this I would appreciate it.

The wires go to the 4 posts that are vertical located on the right side of the motor if you are standing looking at the transom of the boat. I think the wires belong to some sort of harness so ideally I would like to replace that harness but until I can find one we would like to get the motor running so I need to know the gauge.

Link to pics http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/farafox/Boat%20pictures/

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Outboard 1150 115hp gauge of wires

You are missing the wires from the stator to the rectfier, and well as some other wires. Get on the maxrules.com web site and get a wiring diaghram fro that distributor-ign motor. I recommend you buy a new motor harness. They are a few $, but will solve many of your issues. Try surplusunlimited.com for a source.