Problems with my 2000 mercury outboard saltwater series-200hp- Help!

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I have a year 2000 mercury saltwater engine that is a 200 horse that I'm having trouble with. I've had it in the water this year about 4 times but the other day I was going almost full throtle when the propeller just stopped and the engine rev'd really high. I immediately put the throttle back to idle. The motor was still running but when I would put it into gear it would just rev high. It's like it wouldn't go into gear. So after being towed in by the coast guard I had a look at it when I got back and it seems like the propeller and a bit of give to it. I could pull it out an inch or so. Should that not give at all? I had another the next day look at it and there were 2 little hoses off on the side of the engine. Motor turned over first turn. Went to put it in gear and it worked! Put it in reverse and that was fine too. I didn't do anything other than put those little hoses back on. So I went to the ocean, put it in the water, started the engine and put it in gear... Nothing. I was sure that something was going to happen because I didn't really fix anything. To me, it seems like either my control box or control cables are messed up but I'm not sure. Unless it's something in the lower unit? I can't figure it out! Also, this is a saltwater series. I am hoping it's an easy fix but that seems uncommon with boat motors, for me anyway. If anyone has any idea what's wrong it would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to take the family out for the 4th of July but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen :-/.
Thank you,
Paul
Southern Maine

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Problems with my 2000 mercury outboard saltwater series-200hp- Help!

While on the trailer, Key OFF and the Lanyard pulled OFF, shift into Forward gear and stand on the prop blade try to turn it CCW, repeat test shifted into Reverse. If the prop turns without turning the motor when in Forward gear you may have a broken propshaft.

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice

I had a look at it again while at home and it worked again, I don't get it? Would it be something in the propeller? I took some pictures, what'd u think?

faf57728.jpg

05443dd4.jpg

b0237c99.jpg

TimJames

Recruit

Hopefully you just spent a prop hub. newer props have replaceable centers, cost about $25, Carry a spare.older props have to be rehubed or replaced.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The motor was still running but when I would put it into gear it would just rev high. It's like it wouldn't go into gear. So after being towed in by the coast guard I had a look at it when I got back and it seems like the propeller and a bit of give to it. I could pull it out an inch or so.

NO

Take off the prop, the hub may be shredded.

That styly hub should not allow any aft movement of the prop unless the propshaft is also moving aft.

There will be up to 1/16 end play in the shaft, any more and I would highly recommend looking inside the gearcase.