1993 Mercury 175 EFI XRI Oil injection problem

bradleypeay

Cadet
Yesterday I bought a bass boat and ran it for the first time. I made a run of about 6 miles and fished for several hours and started back to the ramp. On the way back to the ramp I started getting the Oil beep alarm. After I pulled the boat out of the water I checked the small oil tank on the outboard and it was only ~3/4 full. I noticed there was a float switch that was causing the alarm to go off. I also noticed that when I checked the oil level in the main big oil tank that it had vacuum pressure on it when I opened the lid.

I talked with the shop I bought the boat from and the mechanic said the boat hadn't been ran a lot in the last couple of years. He said I may need to "burp" the oil tank on the motor. He suggested removing the cap, filling the tank, and idling the engine for ~10 minutes.

I plan to try this this evening, but are there any other suggestions for me to check in case this doesn't work.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1993 Mercury 175 EFI XRI Oil injection problem

Try that first then let us know...to save the guessing.
Just loosen the reservoir and start.Pressure should push level to full and spill over then tighten.Have some rags ready and make sure main tank is tight.If that doesn't work check pickup hoses are not blocked.Good luck.You could also pull hose on pump to see if pumping.Don't use boat without 50/1 premix till you find problem.Good luck.

bradleypeay

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. I took it out this evening and "burped" the oil tank and ran the boat for about 2 hours with no problems.

Now I think I have a fouled plug. Plan on posting another thread

Thx again.

j_martin

Admiral

Original problem was probably a battery got on top of the oil line to the boat tank. It's designed so if that gets restricted, the reserve tank on the engine provides you with 1/2 hour of oil at WOT.

Could have been anything to restrict flow. Oil bottle foil in the boat tank, pinched line, plugged check valve (block low forward starboard side), leaking pressure line, loose cap on boat tank.

bradleypeay

Cadet

Pick up tube had sludge on the screen.