1999 Mercury 200 hp optimax leaking saltwater PLEASE HELP

I was running my boat the other day and I ran over some kelp and noticed I was dragging it. I stopped turned off the motor and lifted it out of the water. The kelp was easily freed as it was not wrapped around the prop. I then headed in at full power. About 15 min after that my rpms went down and felt like I lost power. I drove the boat into the dock. Then lifted the outboard out of the water and salt water started pouring out from under the cowling. I then put the motor back in the water and started it. I then noticed that there was a black circular part on the starboard side of the engine towards the bottom that had a hole in the middle of it and that is where the water started coming in at. I had a whole weekend planned and really need help and answers. If anyone can help let me know. Thank you

Ukuslayer

Recruit
Re: 1999 Mercury 200 hp optimax leaking saltwater PLEASE HELP

Hi,

Sounds like your poppet valve is bad. There is a diaphragm inside that has probably torn. You will have to remove the Lower cowling to get to it. It is a pretty easy job to do but you will need to purchase some new parts. Ishopmarine.com is a good place to buy mercury parts. You will need your engine serial number. Or if you can get it locally even better. You may want to take it apart first to inspect all the parts to see what is good and what needs to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Sean

Re: 1999 Mercury 200 hp optimax leaking saltwater PLEASE HELP

Thanks Sean that is exactly what it was!! I love this website and thanks to all the people that take that time to help out!

Max Swaim