2008 9.9 fourstroke 12V alternator / charging system...

longshanks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought this motor used, and there was a dealer-installed charging system on it, so that it will charge a 12V battery while running. There are a couple battery leads coming out from under the flywheel. I've asked around about this but haven't got a clear answer.

Can I run this motor with those leads disconnected? I'm thinking that while the motor is running, those leads would be hot, and I'm not sure if this can be easily disconnected or disabled, maybe by removing a fuse or something? My main motor charges the battery, and I have no need to charge with the smaller 9.9....

any ideas?

KC3

Cadet
Re: 2008 9.9 fourstroke 12V alternator / charging system...

Maybe hook them up to a sweet disco light and a sound system?? No, seriously though, if you simply don't need them you could just cut them and cap them off with a water tight fitting (i.e. heat shrink and electrical tape). The generator will not be harmed by having open leads and, in fact, you will get some extra horsepower out of it without having a load on those leads.

Cheers,
KC

longshanks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2008 9.9 fourstroke 12V alternator / charging system...

thanks KC. I think I'll roll the leads up and tape them off inside the cowl, just in case I ever need to bust em out and power up the boom box and patio lanterns
cheers!