lost fogging oil spray nozzle in cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

acknack

Recruit
Last fall, I accidentally shot the noozle from the fogging oil spray can into the cylinder and it shot right through and into the exhaust ? I am not certain, I have searched and searched, but it is not to be found, I have a mercury 90HP optimax (2006) and there appears to be a hole straight behind the spark plug hole, the noozle found that spot and disappeared. I am wondering, I have not taken the boat out this year yet... but want to, do I need to go looking for the piece, or will it naturally head to the exhaust? what does it take out with it, if I just leave it there? I did pull the prop to see if it was down there...
any suggestions?:facepalm:

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice
Re: lost fogging oil spray nozzle in cylinder

I assume that your engine is a 4-stroke (given the year of manufacture). If the piece of plastic piping is a relatively small one, I wouldn't be too concerned. Start up the engine, it will probably cough and sputter a little, but the plastic tubing will eventually melt and get chewed up to pieces. It will be evacuated through the exhaust valve, where it may sizzle a bit and stink; but that won't really cause any damage. Just make sure that once the engineruns smoothly, give it a WOT run so that it really clears the bits all the way out through the exhaust. You will probably see some drops of molten plastic here and there appearing in the exhaust ports at the lower unit.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Optimax isin't a 4 stroke.Need a serial# model etc.Profile? Location?
Find someone with a bore scope.Make sure it's gone from the cylinder.
It could just pass through the exhaust or melt and maybe cause a hot spot.
Like a carbon deposit.That could cause damage.
It's not that hard to pull the head and check inside.
If it's gone past the cylinder then I wouldn't worry.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry about it. It's plastic in a lubricated, metallic, high pressure/flow through environment,s with very little mass. No way would I even think about tearing into my engine for something like that.......now if I dropped a nut, bolt, or screw down there then you bet your bippie.....it would surely get smashed into the crown of the piston the first time the engine went to TDC and I wouldn't even rotate the crankshaft until I knew for sure it was out.

Mark

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Do you feel any resistance when you slowly turn the engine over by hand? That should tell you if its still in the cylinder or stuck half way out of the intake or exhaust port. I wouldn't run my engine w a nozzle in the cylinder. I would probably take the carb and reed valves [ if that what it has] to retrieve it before I would pull the head. BTW, was the engine running when ya lost the nozzle ? I assume not.

EDIT DUH ME ! This thread is from last summer....:facepalm:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is 8 months old and the OP has not returned. Let's pronounce it dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.