1970 ish Mariner 3.5 HP Ignition Parts Needed

ColJack

Cadet
I have , I believe a 1970 something, 3.5 HP long Shaft (possibly made in Japan).
S/N is 642-313375. Has approx. 20 hrs. on it but was stored w/o much thought.

Need to find Points, Condensor, and possibly a Coil. Any ideas as to where these parts may be found?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 ish Mariner 3.5 HP Ignition Parts Needed

I'm assuming you have no spark, have you tried dressing the points and resetting them first. A motor with 20 hrs shouldn't need points. Is the coil cracked?

ColJack

Cadet

I'm assuming you have no spark, have you tried dressing the points and resetting them first. A motor with 20 hrs shouldn't need points. Is the coil cracked?

The mtr is w/a good boat mtr mechanic. He tried dressing points, slight pit, and resetting but still no spark. No other obvious reason sighted. He suggests Points & Condensor before moving to the coil- which might be part of /or the problem.

Coil is readily visiblew/no outward signs of malfunction.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

A 20 hr motor should have lots of meat left on points, have him file till the pits are gone. As far as condensors, if you can find out the spec you might be able to find substitutes, try a Merc dealer, they know best.

ColJack

Cadet

A 20 hr motor should have lots of meat left on points, have him file till the pits are gone. As far as condensors, if you can find out the spec you might be able to find substitutes, try a Merc dealer, they know best.

I rec'd. an inventory list of businesses around the country that show the 3 parts in inventory. I'm going to contact them.

ColJack

Cadet

Good point, I'll check that out.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well, you may have a tough time finding parts for it, I tried looking it up to no avail.

ColJack

Cadet

Well, you may have a tough time finding parts for it, I tried looking it up to no avail.

I am having tough time. It's a shame its a nice motor w/ no real use. I'm beginning to wonder how much more time & effort to spend trying to get it going.

Thanks for your help. I will advise of final solution.