what year is my mercury 25 hp. outboard tiller motor?

mercurymickster

Recruit
i have a 25 hp. mercury outboard tiller motor i picked up used for a good price and it has champion plugs in it now that are L77jc4 are these the correct plugs for this motor? i can only find a serial number on the motor and it is 637091 can anyone tell me what year it is? and for the final question....it is hard to start and doesnt want to idle but as soon as you turn the throttle and go full speed it runs awsome...any ideas on what would cause this issue...im pretty mechanically inclined but i dont know where to start....any help would be greatly appreciated....thank you...

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: what year is my mercury 25 hp. outboard tiller motor?

Merc serial numbers are 7 or 8 digits

mercurymickster

Recruit

ok serial number is 6370915 can anyone please tell me the year and what brand and model plugs are supposed to be in this? and any ideas why it would be hard to start and wont idle smoothly but runs great at anything above qaurter throttle? please need some help....thank you....

Spavinaw

Cadet

I know very little about this myself. IN fact I have a post on here asking to clarify my motors year. Seen yours and thought I would try and help. Looks like a 1993 Model per this chart I found in my search:

http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/609739

I would check my facts though!

mercurymickster

Recruit

ok i think i got the year figured out...by my calculations it should be an 1983 model...now what spark plugs and what gap should they be?