92 Mercury 200 XRI Over heating

The_Poorman

Cadet
The problem all started a few weeks ago. I was running across the lake when I came off plane the boat started to heat up so I shut it down. I have replaced the water pump, water pump base, thermostats and popet valve. the engine is still running 20 degrees hotter at idle It normally idle at 150 degrees. I have a good stream when idling. but no water pressure until I rev it up then it goes to 8 LBS (Brand new pressure gauge) I pulled the hose off of the gauge and the flow only trickles out until you give it some gas. I took a hose and ran water from threw the thermostat openings, popet valve and the water pump inlet tube in the mid section it seems to flow fine . it seems to drain from all opening's like there is no restrictions

Does anyone have a cooling flow diagram and suggestions

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 Mercury 200 XRI Over heating

Did you use Merc or aftermarket stats?

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check to see if the stats work by heating water on the stove and take the temp when the stats are supposed to pop when it gets there they should open up. You can try to run it with them out also. Another thing that likes to go bad is the hi temp themostat on the motor. They go bad and they also have a issue with the tan wire corading or melting on the block when it heats up.

The_Poorman

Cadet

Shankforce =, mine has a after market that is screwed into the head where the factory temp sensor goes.

j_martin

Admiral

You either are sucking air into the water pump (leaky base gasket), have the wrong gaskets in it, (more than you need comes in the kit) or something is wrong with the delivery, like a bad water pump outlet seal, or engine end seal, or a split water tube.

You simply don't have enough water delivery.

hope it helps
John

The_Poorman

Cadet

j_martin

When I first took the foot/lower unit off of the mid section the water tube had blown loose from the water pump housing. It had slid up on the metal tube in the mid section I was told this was a common thing to have happen. could this account for low water pressure. If so is their a proper way to secure it to the water pump housing

j_martin

Admiral

The only function for that plastic sleeve is to guide the water tube into the water pump outlet seal. Once that's accomplished, the sleeve could evaporate and it wouldn't make any difference.

Common problems missed by amateurs are:
1. Outlet seal damaged or defective.
2. Damaged (grooved) base plate
3. Warped housing (usually from over torquing the screws)
4. Wrong gaskets.
5. lost drive key

It's also possible for the top tube seal to be bad.

Or it could be the original problem and something was sucked into the water intake and is still there. If the impeller had disintegrated, a piece could be stuck in the water delivery tube. Usually such debris sticks in the outlet passages and causes overheat and over pressure.

edit afterthought. About the only thing I can think of that would push the sleeve up the water tube would be water coming out of the pump housing around the tube, ie a bad outlet seal.

hope it helps.
John

The_Poorman

Cadet

The only function for that plastic sleeve is to guide the water tube into the water pump outlet seal. Once that's accomplished, the sleeve could evaporate and it wouldn't make any difference.

Common problems missed by amateurs are:
1. Outlet seal damaged or defective.
2. Damaged (grooved) base plate
3. Warped housing (usually from over torquing the screws)
4. Wrong gaskets.
5. lost drive key

It's also possible for the top tube seal to be bad.

Or it could be the original problem and something was sucked into the water intake and is still there. If the impeller had disintegrated, a piece could be stuck in the water delivery tube. Usually such debris sticks in the outlet passages and causes overheat and over pressure.

edit afterthought. About the only thing I can think of that would push the sleeve up the water tube would be water coming out of the pump housing around the tube, ie a bad outlet seal.

hope it helps.
John

John Thank you for all your help. The metal tube that goes up in the mid section, how is this tube removed and How would I replace the upper seal, do I have to remove the power head or is their some test to see if the seal has gone bad. I know the water pump I took out had all of the fins in place none were broke and I did put the Key in the shaft. Thanks again for your time and help

j_martin

Admiral

I believe you have to pull the power head to get at the grommet in the exhaust plate. If the tube isn't rattling loose, it's probably OK.

Are you sure you installed the rubber outlet seal in the water pump housing before you put it in?

The_Poorman

Cadet

I believe you have to pull the power head to get at the grommet in the exhaust plate. If the tube isn't rattling loose, it's probably OK.

Are you sure you installed the rubber outlet seal in the water pump housing before you put it in?

I looked up the diagram for my lower unit. On Mervury Parts express it showes a "Seal in the upper part of the water pump before it goes into the inlet tube in the mid section however my kit did not have this part.

if you would look at this link. Is it part #28 that you are refering to right

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/parts-search.html#mr1080ar3192

Again thank you for the help

j_martin

Admiral

Yes sir, that's it. It should be snug enough so you have to put a little 2-4-C on the tube to get it to slide in nicely.

BTW, that's the counter-rotation version of the LU you are looking at.

The_Poorman

Cadet

Yes sir, that's it. It should be snug enough so you have to put a little 2-4-C on the tube to get it to slide in nicely.

BTW, that's the counter-rotation version of the LU you are looking at.

Sorry the picture for the standard rotation didn't show the number and I wanted to be sure. We were talking about the same part.

The_Poorman

Cadet

Sorry the picture for the standard rotation didn't show the number and I wanted to be sure. We were talking about the same part.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I took the boat to the lake yesterday. it seems that I had a bad temp sensor, causing my temp gauge to run hot replaced the sensor idles at 145 degrees runs at 170 8 lbs of pressure pees like a horse Thank you for all the help and advise. :):):):):)