1977 Mercury 850 Steering Linkage

ryanthemick

Recruit
I have a 1972 MFG Gypsy. The Evinrude motor **** the bed, so I've put on a 1977 Mercury 850. The only problem is, the existing steering linkage on the boat won't work with what is on the Merc. Is there a part I can order somewhere that will take the place of the existing boat linkage end(which has no through hole to put a bolt through) that will work with the Merc(which has a bolt)? It looks like the existing end may screw off of the threaded rod of the existing steering arm.
Pictures included:
Bolt on Merc for steering linkage
End of steering arm on boat

Attachments

• 100_2956.jpg
    100_2956.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_2957.jpg
    100_2957.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1977 Mercury 850 Steering Linkage

Yea, take the end off and take it to the hardware store and get a heim joint end that will screw on the rod and has the right size hole in it.

ryanthemick

Recruit
Re: 1977 Mercury 850 Steering Linkage

Thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate your help. I will be hitting the hardware store tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works.
Don't know if you know anything about wiring, but I have the harness from the Merc. I also have a Merc/Mariner Commander side mount control box w/ trim. Any special precautions or diagrams you know of to splice the two together? The commander has male pins at the end of the wires, and I need the female Merc harness instead. Is splicing an option?