2001 Mercury 200XL Overheat/Shifting Issues?

2_Staxxxx

Cadet
Alright.....I have a 2001 Mercury 200XL Salt Water. Installed new shift and throttle cable about 2 weeks ago. Took it to the lake, everything was cool. Took it out again Wednesday, and the following happened:

I eased around the lake for a minute or two, then gave it some gas and got on plane, sounded like it was bogging down, and then after about 10 seconds, it turned off. Tried to start it back up, and after about 10 mins, it finally started back up. I noticed, the battery was somewhat low (old battery), so I took it home, put new battery in.....

So I took it out yesterday, and rode around lake for a minute or two, gave it some gas, and it started bogging out again, so backed off, and eased around, this time it never turned off. Then the buzzer goes off, (steady beep), it had a strong pee stream. Got back to the dock, went and got the truck, backed in to load, and as soon as I started the boat, I noticed something sounded funny, like a little winding noise when I started it, and once it cranked, it had a faint knocking noise, then went to forward and the "clunk" noise it makes to engage, sound like it was stuck, it wouldn't stop, so I turned it off, got it loaded, and back home I went.

Any suggestions?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help!

Re: Help!

Is it knocking in neutral,if so you may have power head problem.Steady alarm is overheat.Check compression,then re check your cables are set correctly for your engine.The clunk when shifting into gear could be idle too high...a result of bad throttle cable adjustment.

2_Staxxxx

Cadet
Re: 2001 Mercury 200XL Overheat/Shifting Issues?

After doing some long research, I believe I may have installed the throttle cable incorrectly....can anyone give a rundown of what the procedure is for the installation. 2001 Mercury 200XL.