40 HP Mariner Magnum Power Tilt & Trim Problems

anvilhead

Cadet
Last year I found where the insulation on the wires that run the tilt and trim system had deteriorated, and the T&T would not work. I fixed this problem by applying heat shrink tubing and then wrapping with electrical tape. This year the tilt and trim merely clicks and does not move. I released the screw on the starboard side of the pump so that i could move the engine up and down. The clicking when you hit the switch is intermitant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RRitt

Captain
Re: 40 HP Mariner Magnum Power Tilt & Trim Problems

try the relays first. clicking does not always mean that they are feeding good juice to your motor. relays are like $3 ea. They are always the first thing to check.

if the relays are good but you still have intermittent failure then water got inside your motor and it's toast. if it is 1989-2006 40 HP then buy a new trim motor. Arco and Sierra make the best value in terms of having the lowest cost per year (they cost 50% more but last 2x as long).

Mi duckdown

Commander

Did you replace any of the bad wires in question?
or did you just seal corroded wires with with shrink tube?
Just asking?

anvilhead

Cadet

I cleaned the wires then sealed them. I will try the relays first.

anvilhead

Cadet

OK....I am still confused. I unwrapped the wires going to the PTT motor. CLeaned and resealed them This weekend. STill had teh same problem no tilt. just a light clicking when you hit the button. Put boat in teh water ran it and hit the switch a few times while i was running. Nothing. The next day while I was running the PTT started working when I hit the switch. It seems to click very loud when you release teh up or down switch. It seems to be working fine though. Anyone have any Ideas?

blingleng

Recruit

mine did this a few days ago...I changed the 2 relays and still nothing but clicks.... but then later notice that i had accdently unplug the green wire going to the tilt and trim when taking off the engine cover... As soon as i pluged that in, it work awsome again...

anvilhead

Cadet

How much are teh relays anyone have any idea??

RRitt

Captain

How much are teh relays anyone have any idea??

hot wire motor directly to battery. if it works great hotwired then probalby a relay or fuse but maybe corroded connector. If it doesn't work when hotwired then motor is bad. Mercury charges too much for parts and they are more expensive to rebuild than throw away.

2w trim relays are under $2 each. look for ones with a bead of glue all the way around the seam where housing snaps together. the bead of glue makes them water resistant. iboats, ebay, amazon, googleshop, etc etc. It's a standard 5pin bosch as used in car stereo and alarm. If your system is 3w then your system has solenoids instead of relays.

anvilhead

Cadet

Thanks rritt. On the way to the auto parts store i figure its worth trying new relays for 2 bucks a piece. I will let you know how it works out. Where is the best place to find replacement motors if this doesnt fix the problem?

RRitt

Captain

the cinese motors are okay. rubberize the two top bolts with some of that paint on waterproofing stuff and make sure to install the anti-corrosion ground strap that goes directly between motor and anode. The arco and sierra motors are a clearly superior product but cost more $$. It's a question of if you want it fixed to last long time or fixed for lowest price tag.

anvilhead

Cadet

Good Morning. We my problem is deffinently the motor on the tilt and trim system. I am having trouble finding a replacement. It seems when i search my serial Number is not showing up on the websites selling Mariner parts My serial number is OG194110 does anyone have any information on this?
My trim motor is the square motor housing with the black fill plug.

anvilhead

Cadet

OK i found atilt and trim motor for my boat. the question that I have is this. the motor does not have a circular o ring anymore where it mounts to the baseplate. It now has a square seal. I gave the guy my serial number and then he gave me the part number. then this part number is superseded about 4 times. doesn anyone know for sure that this will work?