New 2011 Mercury 15 hp 4 Stroke hard starting

Tronald

Seaman
I just bought this motor new and when it's cold (first start) it is VERY hard starting. I do just as the owners manual says and prime it twice and pull the choke and pull that cord until my eyes turn yellow:mad:. Once started, it will start first pull there on out.

Any ideas?

Tronald

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: New 2011 Mercury 15 hp 4 Stroke hard starting

Take it to a Merc dealer for a warranty repair.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had the exact motor, but an 04. Once in a while, it use to be a pain in the butt too, to get the 1st start. Was always super easy after that. Could do a half pull and the motor would start.

Anyways, I believe I was flooding the engine, when I was priming the bulb. I had to turn the throttle to the "fast start" position or something like that if I couldnt get the motor started with 3 pulls when it's cold. If I remember correctly, it was at full throttle or close to that setting. Would usually start after 2 pulls or so. Just need to be fast to throttle down.

Tronald

Seaman

Well, of course I should take it in for warranty work, but if it's something that I may be doing wrong, I would like some input. Besides, if I take this motor to the local dealer, they will keep it for over a month!

Tronald.