fuel/water separator changed, now won't fill

overexposedtoo

Recruit
20 ft. 1977 Grady. Last time out everything ran fine. Replaced the fuel water separator (with the exact same parts number). Now squeezing the bulb does not seem to get fuel up to the bulb. Couple of notes:
1. prior to separator replacement, the bulb never got hard (this is the second bulb, replaced 2 weeks ago and the previous one did the same thing).
2. There is no anti-siphon valve at the top of the tank
3. all fuel lines were replaced about mid-season last year.
4. I am able to blow air through all fuel lines.

Yes, there is fuel in the tank.

Any thoughts on a fix?
Bob

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned
Re: fuel/water separator changed, now won't fill

If the carbs are full of fuel the filter can't fill because it's air locked, try removing a line or depress the valve on the hose at the engine plug in while pumping the bulb.

Bifflefan

Commander

1. prior to separator replacement, the bulb never got hard (this is the second bulb, replaced 2 weeks ago and the previous one did the same thing).
Thats normal. The bulb is between the pump and the tank. It should not get hard when running.

2. There is no anti-siphon valve at the top of the tank.
The anti-siphon is not to keep gas in the line, its to keep it from running out of the line if it gets cut. Makes no difference in this case.

3. all fuel lines were replaced about mid-season last year.
Cool.

4. I am able to blow air through all fuel lines.
I wouldn't.
Just fill the sperator with fuel and then put if back on. pump it up and you should be fine.
You can not suck that much air out of the filter/sep with out filling it before installing it.

j_martin

Admiral

Been there, done that. You biffed the gasket on the fuel filter.