1961 Mercury 700 FGS, impeller service and inspection

apson

Cadet
Hi All,

Merc serial number #A-1416029. I think I've got this nailed down to a 1961 Merc 700 (and a half?). It's an inline 6...I can tell you that much.

I'm very new to this forum, though I've been reading for a couple of months at least. I've been in search of the procedure for dropping the lower unit/replacing impeller/seals on this outboard I've recently acquired (on the back of a 1960 Glasspar Marathon that I also plan to restore). I thought I was having luck with the Sierra Marine catalog alone, but upon calling my local boat shop (Brothers Boats in Folsom, CA) I was told that the Sierra part number I had down for my "Impeller Repair Kit" was for a later model. The catalog points to Sierra #18-3217.

I'd like to drop the lower unit and pull the impeller housing/gaskets/seals just so I can take them in to my local shop to find replacement parts but the only manual I've been able to find (per the FAQ in this forum section) is the 90-300. The closest I can find is very detailed instructions for a 1966 90hp...I'm not sure how similar my lower unit is to this one, if at least for the purpose of a cooling system service.

Any tips on finding a manual would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you can throw in a recommendation for a marine battery for this particular beast that would be great, too ;)

I've also emailed repairmanuals4u.com and am awaiting response.

Thanks,
Aaron

merc_photo.jpg

Last edited:

apson

Cadet
pump base damage

pump base damage

I was able to get the lower unit off and pull the pump apart for inspection today. I discovered some damage to the pump base housing and I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's cause for replacement. The Sierra catalog doesn't seem to list this part :eek:

base_damage.jpg

There is corresponding damage to the lower face plate gasket:

gasket_damage.jpg

I also had a cracked slinger (?, the topmost seal above the pump)

slinger.jpg

Sadly, whoever did this last didn't replace the lower pump gasket. There was no gasket between the pump base and the gear housing but the o-ring was intact...I'm guessing the o-ring is supposed to be a second line of defense. There were three shims stacked up between the driveshaft bearing and the very bottom of the pump base housing. Maybe this was to make up for the missing height of the gasket?

pump_base.jpg

I need to take another photo of my drive shaft bearing...it has a grease access port but mine did not look terribly greasy. I wasn't sure what to expect there.

Re: my original post, I've ordered the service manual from repairmanuals4u.com and I'm about to download a parts manual from eastcoastmarine.com. I used these instructions to guide me through lower unit removal.

merc850

Commander
Re: pump base damage

Have you tried getting parts from a Mercury dealer near you, sometimes they still have them or they're still available.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

East coast marine service, call them.

apson

Cadet

Thanks. My local dealer started laughing before I finished saying the last digit of "1961" -- and my call and email to east coast marine went unanswered. I ended up ordering the part from Seaway Marine in Seattle, WA. I received the box today and to my great disappointment the part was completely wrong. I received a box marked "46-31277A 2" and inside is 46-48748...a pump base for a lower unit which draws water from the bottom of the base and through the sides of the lower unit (rather than mine which draws through the trim tab, a la 1961 Merc 700E). I paid $90 for this item. I studied multiple diagrams very well. For instance, this one of the gear housing for my 1961 Merc 700E.

The pump base Seaway sent me draws from the bottom and has an entirely different drive shaft bearing diameter, etc. I'm not sure if they just grabbed the wrong box or sent me the right box with the wrong item in it:

wrong_pump_base.jpg

Their website also lists 31277A2 as both the upper and lower yet this box only contained the lower (albeit for the wrong gear housing). I'm going to call Seaway tomorrow morning and hopefully they actually have the item in stock and don't charge me for return shipping. :confused:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Eastcoast may still be your best bet, give them time, Chuck will get back to you.

angelvigil03

Cadet
Apson, I am wondering if you ever found the right water impeller kit. I am looking for one myself on this 61 lower unit. Hopefully you can tell me where you found it and the serial number if possible. Thanks for your help

emckelvy

Commander
Here's a NOS Merc replacement pump kit which was meant (I'm assuming) as an upgrade to the style of pump that's in your 700 FGS: 46-31277A2 Pump Kit.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121645127637

This kit changes the location of the water tube, from its current position in the upper pump body, to entering thru a grommet in the lower pump body.

I see in the instructions for the kit that they tell you to change out the water tube and install the new grommet. Part numbers are given, so I'd expect you should be able to chase down a grommet if it's not included in the pump kit.

The water tube could be repurposed or fashioned from a new hunk of copper pipe as needed.

Probably your best bet to find something that'll work. It's a reasonable price for a complete kit, especially one as hard to find as this.

HTH............ed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Apson, I am wondering if you ever found the right water impeller kit. I am looking for one myself on this 61 lower unit. Hopefully you can tell me where you found it and the serial number if possible. Thanks for your help

Angelvig - Please do not hijack old topics. We prefer that you start new topics with your questions. Thanks, iboats Mod team.

emckelvy

Commander
Angelvig - Please do not hijack old topics. We prefer that you start new topics with your questions. Thanks, iboats Mod team.

Yeah, I didn't even notice until I was done that this was an old thread. Maybe the Mods should start locking threads older than a year or so.

angelvigil03

Cadet
I apologize I just haven't been able to find much info on this type of lower unit. Got a little anxious but I will create a new thread