1967 Mercury 200 (20hp) No Spark/No start

nbaffaro

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acuired this old motor. I went through it and replaced some of the bad wires that they are very prone to have. I did not try to start or check for spark until I got it all back together. I tried to start the engine last night but it would not start. So i checked for spark and there was none at either plug. I do not have a new stop button switch in yet. So I don't know if the stop switch is normally open or normally closed but i tried it both ways with the same result. The motor turns over well and seems to have good compression. I do feel like I need to do a compression check before I spend any money on trying to figure out why I am getting no spark.

All that was to say. What do I need to clean/check to help me identify why I have a no spark situation. I know that the engine is a points type ignition system.

TIA

Nick

Gunloader

Cadet
Re: 1967 Mercury 200 (20hp) No Spark/No start

i had the same problem and am still working on it i lost spark i fried my coil and my condenser i replaced the coil and the condenser and got spark back but have to test to make sure it is enough to fire couldnt get to start though i am going to clean my coil contacts and points and gap my points and try again to get a stronger spark this is what i have learned so far on here so also not a bad idea to start with coil multimeter test i learning too so good luck

nbaffaro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1967 Mercury 200 (20hp) No Spark/No start

I checked the compression on this motor and it was very low. Looks like this might be more than I want to dig into.

I don't have much in it. So i am going to just try to sell if for parts

thanks