1964 Mercury 850 (85hp) Engine doesn't crank, leaking a good amount of gas

jm999

Seaman
Just bought a cheap project boat that came with a 1964 Mercury 850. At first it was cranking a little, then fading out. Then it would click until I waited 5-10 minutes. I noticed the smell of gas so I took the cowling off of the motor. I squeezed the primer and noticed gas dripping out but could not see from where. Its pretty much all over the carbs. I tilted the motor forward a good amount of gas came pouring out, again, not sure from where exactly. Kept trying to turn the key every once in a while and just get a click now. No sign of the motor even trying to start.

I just installed a new battery and am getting power, and I also just installed all new spark plugs. Anything else I should check before taking it to someone who knows what they're doing? :facepalm:

Thanks!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1964 Mercury 850 (85hp) Engine doesn't crank, leaking a good amount of gas

Sounds like the needle and seat are not sealing in one or all carbs. Previous owner may not have the float/needle/seat setup properly, could be dirt or a bad float. Carbs need to come off and be inspected. I just bought an inline 6 and had it installed on a boat from a guy who was running it last year.Bottom carb leaked endlessly. Guess what, 3 carb kits and 4 hrs later of my own labour I have a boat that runs properly, carbs gone through are a must on an unknown 2 stroke motor. I dreaded doing it but I now know how.

I'll warn you know, this is a time consuming job, if you don't know what you are doing take it to someone.

jm999

Seaman

Ok I'll see if I can pop the carbs off and inspect them. They look pretty straightforward to take off. Since its memorial day weekend no one can look at it until next week sometime. I'd rather do what I can before draining my bank account! Anywhere I could find a carb diagram for this particular motor? I tried google but couldn't find anything.

Also, how can I test my starter to make sure its good? The wiring also looks pretty **** poor throughout the boat. Doesn't look stock whatsoever. Maybe this could be part of my issue?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Carbs leaking and bad wiring, totally different. If you buy the Sierra kits they come with instructions, if you just want the diagram:

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/whitepapers/CarbService.pdf

The starter test- remove the starter and bench test it using a battery and jumper cables, with all that gas that you say is around I wouldn't want to test it on the motor.

jm999

Seaman

Thanks for the link. I'll see how they look.

jm999

Seaman

After the engine sat for about 24 hours I got a few big cranks out of it. Didn't start, and the got to the point where it was only clicking when I turn the key again. Could it be flooded? I haven't been over-priming. Pulled the plugs and they didn't have gas on them and were clean.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Did you charge that "new battery", alot of times they sit on store shelves and don't get charged again until you buy it. If the plugs were clean it's the opposite, no gas getting to them. Have you done the basics like confirmed it is getting spark, compression, is the choke working etc etc etc????

If you are getting spark, spray some premix fuel into each carb and give it a go, choke open with idle lever up half way, make sure you have water circulating.

RMasters

Seaman

I mailed him the manual describing the different starting procedures, trouble shooting and even notes which address exactly what he is describing.

Clicking of the starter can occur if either battery is drained too much or starting is attempted in intervals being too short.

Ahoy!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Rotten internal/external wiring can cause excessive amp draw...

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

dunno if this is YOUR problem re the the starting " click" but son had a similar sounding issue last week with his 1964 Merc 650,
swapped the solenoid for a spare one, hooked up a different FULLY charged battery, started first turn of the key,
just something to consider

jm999

Seaman

Yes the manual is very helpful. Just wanted to get as many things on my checklist as possible as I plan on spending alot of time testing things out tonight. Thanks all for your advice!

jm999

Seaman

After taking off the top cowl and removing the multiple wasp colonies I saw that the starter pinion gear was stuck up and engaged with the flywheel but was not turning the motor over. I think its burnt out. Once we got it popped back down where it should have been and turned the key we could hear some whirring/buzzing, then heard it engage and die. I think the starter is shot.

We tested to make sure we were getting sufficient power to the proper places according to this guide: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Last edited: